Thursday, June 6, 2019

Pink Sweat$

One Liner: Very basic R&B like young Beiber
Wikipedia Genre: R&B, soul, pop
Home: Philadelphia

Poster Position: 12


Both Weekends.


Thoughts:  My first thought was Khaled - big bearded dude singing R&B stuff over pretty simple beats.  And then I thought more of early Justin Bieber - breathy little ditties sung well over very simple guitar licks.  After going at it a few times, its not for me.

Real name is David Bowden, and Wikipedia says his stage name came from the fact that he always wore pink sweatpants.  So, a very deep and meaningful reasoning for that moniker.  I'll have my co-workers call me Offwhite V-Neck Undershirt from here on.

No true albums, just two EPs with exceedingly original names of Volume 1 and Volume 2.  His big hit is from Volume 1, with 55.4 million streams, and is called "Honesty."
I mean, yeah, his voice is nice, the inoffensive guitar bit is fine.  But I'm never going to seek out that style of music.  Just don't need it.  All falsetto and no back end?  Nah.  "Drama" is interesting, in that it still has that very basic guitar lick backing, but the lyrics are about having some "real hitters" who "might shoot" as though this cutesy singer guy is a hardcore gangster.

His second EP, yes, the one named Volume 2, was released in 2019 and so it has lower stream counts, but "Coke & Henny Pt. 2" (and yes, there is also a "Coke & Henny Pt. 1" on this EP) is the current top track at 4.3 million streams.
Same kind of thing - guitar plucking and his nice voice meandering around over it with some love-lorn words.  But, at least this one brings in some hand-claps and a tiny bit of a beat (even if it might as well be this dude's buddy hitting on a cardboard box, for all the power behind it).

I'm good - hopefully this guy is the next Weeknd and those who see him love every second of it, but I'm seeing just about anything else during the time slot.

No comments: