Sunday, October 8, 2023

ACL 2023: Weekend One: Sunday Schedule and Thoughts

I have tried to reduce some of the bloat in these schedule posts so that you can just get the goods.  I think I am going to make a separate place to find playlists and other thoughts about the days.  Click the name link to find out more about each artist.

Sunday, Weekend One:

12:00
Miller Lite
Katy Kirby: Excellent indie rock that has drawn me in for a long time
BMI
Major.: Supercharged love anthems and motivational speeches.
Barton Springs    
Ellis Bullard: Classic honky tonk country from a local fella
Tito's
Wesley Bray & the Disciples of Joy: Gospel.
T-Mobile    
Matt Maltese: Low key indie pop with one massive hit about Trump making love and killing us all

Katy Kirby all day.  Maltese and Bullard would be fine too, but I really liked Kirby's sound.

12:45/ 1:00
Honda
MichiganderFun low-key but super catchy rock 
Tito's (1:00)    
Jane LeoForgettable bedroom pop made by two local artists joining forces
Kiddie
School of RockKids jamming cover tunes based on what they learned at private lessons
AmEx
Madison CunninghamDeeply beautiful Americana with some rock leanings

Can't go wrong with Michigander or Cunningham.  I think both of them will make for a very pleasant early afternoon show.  I lean towards Michigander just because I wanted to check him out last year, but I really enjoyed Cunningham and will keep listening to her stuff.

1:30
Miller Lite 
Mimi WebbSurprisingly fun dance pop
BMI
Grace SorensenLocal R&B sounds that are a little too whispery for my taste
Barton Springs
Randall KingPure country in a classic sense but from a new guy
T-Mobile
Becky HillThe lady who sings the dance EDM hooks has her own thing!



Sadness for people who are here for pop music, as this hour is stacked with three of them.  I'd lean towards the country from King, but Webb was a good surprise and might be fun.  I'm pretty sure I never walked over to Barton Springs last year.

2:00/ 2:15
Honda
Dope LemonLaid-back, chilled-out rock in the vein of Mac DeMarco
Tito’s Tent (2:00)
Ali SethiThe new king of Ghazal!
Kiddie
Smith & Yarn: Kiddie!
American Express
Kevin KaarlApparently confessional singer/songwriter all in Spanish

Dope for sure here - I've been listening to him again this week and it is just a fun time.  I wish his image wasn't quite what it is, with all the cool sunglasses and rings and outfits, but I really enjoy the tunes.

3:15
Miller Lite 
Suki WaterhouseModel and actress making forgettable bedroom pop
BMI
SunroseGrunge/Alternative rock badassery with UNAPOLAGETIC BRAVADO AND CATHARTIC LYRICISM
Barton Springs
Morgan WadeLyrically solid country bordering on rock with all the tattoos.
Tito's
Charlotte Adigery & Bolis PupulWacky electronica with clever and insightful lyrics
T-Mobile
The Walkmen: Strokesian rock and roll 

When The Walkmen were announced, I figured that would be a must-see for sure.  I've been listening to them again this week and my excitement is waning on them a little bit.  I might still head over there and check them out, but part of me is leaning towards seeing the Sunrose guys jam out or Adigery & Pupul do their weird business.  Not sure.

4:15
Honda
Tash SultanaAustralian R&B singer who left behind an interesting voice for something generic
Tito’s Tent (4:30)
Yves TumorWeird as hell ambient and experimental noise pop
Kiddie
Tim Kubart: The Tambourine Guy!
American Express
Niall HoranOne of the One Direction guys making really good pop rock tunes

Easy call for me to go see Niall.

5:15
Miller Lite
Ivan CornejoSpanish songs that may be love songs maybe?
BMI
Tanner UsreyReally great, low-key Americana guy in the vein of Zach Bryan
Barton Springs
The BreedersAlternative rock's girl group from the 90's (yes, you remember "Cannonball").
T-Mobile (5:30)
GlorillaCrunk lady rapper bragging her way into a Cardi B guest spot



A definitely varied hour.  Usrey is really great, I think he would be good to see.  The Breeders are a classic, although I have no clue what they'll play after their two or three most recognizable tracks.  GloRilla will be the home of the kids wanting top party.  I hope to be at BMI.

6:15
Honda
Yeah Yeah YeahsVery arty rock with more screaming than I would have guessed, based on "Maps."
Tito’s Tent
SidepieceElectronic house music just like the last batch you heard
American Express
HozierMassively popular Irish blues rock with the Take Me To Church song

I didn't expect this, but Hozier is my top pick for the whole day.  His catalog is really solid and enjoyable, so I'll be over there for this for sure.

7:00
Miller Lite
Cigarettes After SexDreamy pop rock that inexplicably has a jillion streams.
Barton Springs
Death GripsAggressively aggravating experimental rap and abrasive industrial 
T-Mobile
LabrinthSquawky, glitchy R&B with infrequent forays into rap-ish squawks.  Squawk.

Just a cursed hour.  I don't want to see any of these.  If you told me I was required to choose one, I guess I'd go see Death Grips to just witness who is purposefully doing that to their earholes.

HEADLINERS:
Honda (8:15)
OdeszaChillwave electronic tunes.
Tito's
AmEx
Mumford & SonsRoots rocking Americana revivalists with two great albums and then ...

I keep forgetting that Mumford is back again.  I guess I'll go watch that show, but if I am being entirely honest it is not that exciting to me at all.  Odesza doesn't move the needle either, so Mumford is likely it, but I wouldn't blame Jason at all if he left early to get back to Dallas...

No comments: