Thursday, October 12, 2023

ACL 2023: Weekend Two: Friday Schedule!

I have tried to reduce some of the bloat in these schedule posts so that you can just get the goods.  I think I am going to make a separate place to find playlists and other thoughts about the days.  Click the name link to find out more about each artist.

Here we go - Friday, Weekend Two:

12:45/1:15
Honda (12:55)
Jimmie Vaughan & Tilt-A-Whirl Band: Stevie Ray's big brother laying down classic blues guitar action
Tito's (1:15)     
The Huston-Tillotson University Jazz Collective: The Huston-Tillotson University Jazz Collective
Kiddie (12:45)
School of Rock: Kids jamming cover tunes based on what they learned at private lessons 
AmEx (12:55)
Font: Only one song but it is full of cowbell and fun

Font is my easy choice here.  I am honestly disappointed that they have stuck them at such a terrible slot, as even with only one song in the ether, it jams.

1:40 (some weird start times this year!)
Miller Lite
We Don't Ride Llamas: Shape-shifting local band of siblings
BMI
Emlyn: Aggressively empowering pop from a gal who is not taking your crap anymore
IHG
The Altons: Old school soul tunes on their most recent hits.
T-Mobile
Jaime Wyatt: Classic country sound with a little brassy Outlaw to her



Surprising even myself, I'd likely choose Wyatt and the old school country here.

2:25
Honda
Thee Sacred Souls: Sweet, smooth, lovely throwback soul
Tito’s Tent
BailenHAIM vibes and harmonies from NYC siblings
Kiddie (2:30)
Resonate: A few dank raps from a weed store owner
American Express
Nessa Barrett: Awful TikTok pop with overly affected voice and a death fascination

Thee Sacred Souls were freaking good last weekend.  Just a perfect early afternoon chance to kick back with a drink and let something nice wash over you.

3:10
Miller Lite
Breland: If "Old Town Road" made a full career
BMI
Oliver Hazard: Like the Lumineers popped up in small-town Ohio
IHG
Ethel Cain: Spacey bedroom indie Del Rey by an odd bird
T-Mobile
Abraham Alexander: Soulful buddy of Leon Bridges with a perfectly lovely voice



Tough slot here.  I think if you are trying to see something "important" that may be the next big thing in music, then you should go see Ethel Cain and check her out at this early stage of her career.  I think Oliver Hazard are legitimately good music that would be fun to hear.  And Alexander has the killer voice and nice sound - you could do him and Sacred Souls back-to-back and have smooth soul overload.

4:10
Honda
Raye: Pop singer with some dark lyrics
Tito’s Tent
Blond:ish: EDM that appears to be much more enjoyable when live than when streamed in the office
Kiddie (4:30)
Q Brothers: Possibly not the worst Kiddie Limits band, if you believe Joseph
American Express
Lil Yachty: That mumble rapper with the red braids

Not my hour here.  I guess I'd lean in to my soft spot in my heart for EDM in the Tito's tent because it feels tighter and more fun in community like that.

5:10
Miller Lite
The Teskey Brothers: Complete incongruity between their look and sound channeling Otis Redding-style soul
BMI
The Moss: Jangly rock and roll with a little reggae/surf tinge from dudes foolish enough to leave Hawaii for Utah
IHG
D4VD: Downbeat indie that is inexplicably huge on Spotify - the depressing Weeknd
T-Mobile
Glorilla: Crunk lady rapper bragging her way into a Cardi B guest spot



My instant preference is The Moss, but I actually think the Teskey Brothers might be a really cool show.

6:10
Honda
Maggie Rogers: A strong-voiced pop songwriter and one of my favorite songs
Tito’s Tent
FKJ: Jazzy multi-instrumentalist doing electronica solo
American Express
Major Lazer: Dancehall EDM from Diplo and many friends

Maggie is the easy call here when this was Kali Uchis, and I heard from several people that her show was magic last weekend.  I skipped it to get closer for The Revivalists.  Now that Major Lazer is slated to take that spot again, I'm less sure.  One of my daughters said ML was her favorite show of the whole weekend.  The other said either #1 or #2.  So we are talking about a show that must be a hell of a lot of fun.

7:10
Miller Lite
Portugal. The Man: Alt. rock psych guys who made a funky new jam of 60's pop that everyone has heard
IHG
The Revivalists: Jammy rock band from New Orleans with one massive alt rock radio hit
T-Mobile
Above and Beyond: Electronic trance music with at least a jillion tracks

I had not realized that Revivalists were getting shunted over to the little BS stage.  That is whack.  That is definitely my pick here.  First, because they rule and their show was fantastic.  Second, because I watched Portugal last weekend and for the third show I have seen, they sound like dogcrap.  I used to think it was just the sound engineers doing something wrong, but after three shows, you have to think that they are purposefully trying to sound that way.

HEADLINERS:
Honda (8:10)
The Lumineers: Scruffy indie folk guys who have maintained a strange level of popularity
Tito's
AmEx (8:40)
Kendrick Lamar: One of the top rappers today

It's too bad that someone else isn't the headliner opposite Kendrick - put Odesza's ass over there or something!  Because even though I complained heavily about both of these artists, I'd still almost assuredly choose Kendrick and see one of the best rappers alive at the top of his game.
Obviously, last weekend was a cluster for this hour - big packs of teens walked out of Lumineers but then came back and then left again but then came back as everyone got messed up info about whether Kendrick would perform.  So, I got to see both shows (sort of), and they were both honestly phenomenal.  15-year-old's report from Kendrick was that there were way too many old people up front trying to film the show instead of getting hype and it was annoying.  I think Kendrick just invites that split - a combo of hype songs and Pulitzer-winning-NPR-nerd stuff.

No comments: