Thursday, October 12, 2023

ACL 2023: Weekend Two: Sunday Schedule

I have tried to reduce some of the bloat in these schedule posts so that you can just get the goods.  I think I am going to make a separate place to find playlists and other thoughts about the days.  Click the name link to find out more about each artist.

Sunday, Weekend Two:

12:00
Miller Lite
Katy Kirby: Excellent indie rock that has drawn me in for a long time
BMI
Myron ElkinsSouthern rock from a Michigan kid
Barton Springs    
Kathryn LegendreLocal C3 employee getting to take the stage with some classic country flavor
Tito's
The Moriah SistersPowerful belting for the Lord
T-Mobile    
Leon IIIFantastic alt-country psych rock by two of the Howler Bros.

That's a killer hour.  What I honestly want is for this whole hour to just be a showcase all in and of itself, like at Scoot Inn one evening, so that I could hear all of these bands in an afternoon.  Kirby is really great.  I loved the Leon thing.  Elkins is raw and badass.  You really have a lot of great options if you are going this early on Sunday.

12:45/ 1:00
Honda
MichiganderFun low-key but super catchy rock 
Tito's (1:00)    
SisiI don't know man, 3 songs that are definitely not my thing
Kiddie
Ralph's WorldKiddie Limits silliness
AmEx
Madison CunninghamDeeply beautiful Americana with some rock leanings

Can't go wrong with Michigander or Cunningham.  I think both of them will make for a very pleasant early afternoon show.  I lean towards Michigander just because I wanted to check him out last year, but I really enjoyed Cunningham and will keep listening to her stuff.

1:30
Miller Lite 
Mimi WebbSurprisingly fun dance pop
BMI
CorookFascinating - incredibly sad, hilariously funny - and damn weird alt pop
Barton Springs
Randall KingPure country in a classic sense but from a new guy
T-Mobile
Penny & SparrowDuo making indie-folk-rock magic after meeting at UT



This Sunday's lineup whips last Sunday's ass.  So many fun things to check out.  I thought Corook was really interesting, P&S are lovely and probably the perfect thing for this time of day, and Randall King is classic-sounding.  You've got great choices here.

2:00/ 2:15
Honda
Dope LemonLaid-back, chilled-out rock in the vein of Mac DeMarco
Tito’s Tent (2:00)
Quin NFNLegit Austin rapper from da 4.
Kiddie
School of RockKids jamming cover tunes based on what they learned at private lessons
American Express
Kevin KaarlApparently confessional singer/songwriter all in Spanish

Dope for sure here - I've been listening to him again this week and it is just a fun time.  We watched his show last week and it was a vibe.  I wish his image wasn't quite what it is, with all the cool sunglasses and rings and outfits, but I really enjoy the tunes.

3:15
Miller Lite 
Suki WaterhouseModel and actress making forgettable bedroom pop
BMI
Caramelo HazeAnother neo-Afro-Columbian-Latino-rock outfit from Austin
Barton Springs
Morgan WadeLyrically solid country bordering on rock with all the tattoos.
Tito's
CelisseOne powerful song from an apparently great guitarist
T-Mobile
Del Water Gap:  Ex-bandmate of Maggie Rogers making great indie pop

I had no recollection of Caramelo or Celisse when I just put this box together.  Not a good sign.  My choice here is definitely Del Water Gap.  Terrible band name but excellent music.

4:15
Honda
M83Atmospheric electro and dance, with that one big "Midnight City" song.
Tito’s Tent (4:30)
Yves TumorWeird as hell ambient and experimental noise pop
Kiddie
FYUTCHKiddie rap time!
American Express
Niall HoranOne of the One Direction guys making really good pop rock tunes

Easy call for me to go see Niall.  But I don't know if I understand M83 being a 4pm band.  They seem much larger than that to me.  We saw Niall last weekend and his whole show was really nice - a little cheeky, a little cheesy, but really enjoyable.

5:15
Miller Lite
Ivan CornejoSpanish songs that may be love songs maybe?
BMI
Corey KentRockin' Nashville country from an ex-Voice competitor
Barton Springs
The BreedersAlternative rock's girl group from the 90's (yes, you remember "Cannonball").
T-Mobile
Little SimzFantastic rapper with a chill vibe but some toughness in her lyrics



Simz was phenomenal last weekend.  Just powerful and nimble and owned the stage.  I loved it.

6:15
Honda
Yeah Yeah YeahsVery arty rock with more screaming than I would have guessed, based on "Maps."
Tito’s Tent
SidepieceElectronic house music just like the last batch you heard
American Express
HozierMassively popular Irish blues rock with the Take Me To Church song

I didn't expect this, but Hozier is my top pick for the whole day.  His catalog is really solid and enjoyable, so I'll be over there for this for sure.  Although, I heard from others that YYYs was an amazing rock and roll show.

7:00
Miller Lite
Cigarettes After SexDreamy pop rock that inexplicably has a jillion streams.
Barton Springs
Death GripsAggressively aggravating experimental rap and abrasive industrial 
T-Mobile
LabrinthSquawky, glitchy R&B with infrequent forays into rap-ish squawks.  Squawk.

Just a cursed hour.  I don't want to see any of these.  If you told me I was required to choose one, I guess I'd go see Death Grips to just witness who is purposefully doing that to their earholes.

HEADLINERS:
Honda (8:15)
OdeszaChillwave electronic tunes.
Tito's
AmEx
Mumford & SonsRoots rocking Americana revivalists with two great albums and then ...

I keep forgetting that Mumford is back again.  I guess I'll go watch that show, but if I am being entirely honest it is not that exciting to me at all.  Odesza doesn't move the needle either, so Mumford is likely it.  I will say that last weekend we got treated to the Austin High Band, Noah Kahan, and the Huston Tillotson Choir, so they're trying to make it special for you!

No comments: