Friday, October 13, 2023

ACL 2023: Weekend Two: Saturday Schedule!

I have tried to reduce some of the bloat in these schedule posts so that you can just get the goods.  I think I am going to make a separate place to find playlists and other thoughts about the days.  Click the name link to find out more about each artist.

Saturday, Weekend Two:

11:45/12:00
Miller Lite
Miya Folick:  I honestly have nothing for this - another perfectly acceptable folk pop singer?
BMI
Pony Bradshaw: Solid singer-songwriter type who I couldn't quit listening to.
IHG
Nemegata: Columbian/African/I Have No Clue stew
Tito's
Blakchyl: Local female rapper without many streams but some good flow.
T-Mobile    
Goodnight, Texas: Cross-country troubadours of folky Americana

Literally couldn't tell you a thing about Folick.  I wrote a long ass post about her and listened to the tunes, but it left no mark on me at all.  I think I would pick Pony Bradshaw out of these, but could lean into Goodnight as well.

12:30/12:45
Honda
Sincere Engineer: Pop punk thrashings from an unsafe bike rider
Tito's (12:45)    
Valley James: One nice little song that is apparently considered Western AF
Kiddie (12:45)
Resonate: A few dank raps from a weed store owner.
AmEx
CVC: Absolutely fun times throwing back to the 60's rock and then riding up on My Morning Jacket's coattails

I really enjoyed both Sincere Engineer and CVC.  I think I'd probably lean to CVC in this hour, but I think both will be fun.

1:15
Miller Lite 
Eloise: Jazzy/torchy R&B singer gal with a difficult to google name
BMI
Rattlesnake Milk: Laid back rockabilly grooves
IHG (1:30)
Eddie Zuko: Spanglish rap and reggae sounds mashed together.
  T-Mobile
Devon Gilfillian: Soulful dude with good guitar-based grooves



Rattlesnake Milk is good stuff - I could see that being a really nice one to chill in the dirt for while you wait for your buddies to gather at the park.  But I also think that Gilfillian is really enjoyable - he keeps getting the shaft with these crazy early set times though.

1:45 / 2:00
Honda (2)
Jessie Ware: Big-voiced sophisti-pop and disco-fied R&B
Tito’s Tent (1:45)
Angel WhiteSemi-countrified black dude with a confusing name


American Express
Declan McKenna: Fun, bright, poppy rock that sometimes gets political

McKenna for sure here - I'm listening to him still and it is just a fun time.

3:00
Miller Lite
Ben Kweller: Piano heavy indie rock in the Ben Folds vein
BMI
Snooper: Unhinged, frenetic punk rock with new wave angles
IHG (3:15)
Amaarae: The most annoying thing I can think of on the poster, but with fun Afrobeat grooves
Tito's (2:45)
Calder AllenSolid singer-songwriter type with chill tunes and a good pedigree
T-Mobile
Gus Dapperton: Underwhelming bedroom pop music by weird haircut

Kweller is the easy answer for me - I feel like he is super underrated and his show last weekend was not only awesome, but also featured McLovin' on bass.  For real.  Calder Allen is actually really good as well, and Snooper is super awesome.  If Snooper had been in the next hour, I would have said to go see that!

4:00
Honda
Rina Sawayama: Super catchy pop that gave me Gaga vibes
Tito’s Tent
Sudan Archives: So much violin and strong R&B vibes
Kiddie (4:30)
Ralph's World: Kiddie Limits silliness
American Express
Mt. Joy: Pleasantly anonymous indie rock with good lyrics

I've gone back and listened to some more Mt. Joy and I like it more and more.  Rina is actually better than I would have expected from a pure pop star, but I'd likely choose Joy.

5:00
Miller Lite
Poolside: Daytime Disco is what they call it, but I'm not along for the ride.
BMI
New West: All I can think of is Coldplay on their big TikTok hit
IHG (5:15)
Coi Leray: Lady rapper biting everyone else's thing.
T-Mobile
Tanya Tucker: She's a classic country star, but I don't recognize much of this.



A definitely varied hour.  Poolside is kind of generic electro-pop.  Leray is forgettable for me but likely will be packed with kids wanting to mosh.  Saw some of Tanya last weekend and wasn't in love.  I guess I would lean into seeing country music royalty out of these choices, but none of them feel like a must-see for me personally.

6:00
Honda
Thirty Seconds to Mars: Increasingly more operatic alt rock from Jared Leto's band with his brother
Tito’s Tent
Tegan and Sara: Identical twins churning out the indie tunes
American Express
Alanis Morissette: The biggest post-grunge hitmaker still out there teaching people about irony

Alanis was so fun last weekend.  She has some odd mannerisms on stage that were a little distracting to me, but singing along to the hits ruled.  My friend who went to 30 Seconds was also very pleased with his choice.  I know this will be unpopular with some of you, but I tried Tegan and Sara again just now and I just don't care for it.

7:00
Miller Lite
Bob Moses: Chilly electro that sure seems out of place at ACL
IHG
Tove Lo: That "Stay High All The Time" electropop girl
T-Mobile
Noah Kahan: Gentle indie pop-rock with a lovely voice and non-real Irish accent

Kahan for me in a landslide here.

HEADLINERS:
Honda (8)
The 1975: Incredibly catchy pop rock interspersed with tremendously pretentious and boring songs
Tito's
AmEx (8)
Foo Fighters: Probably the most perfect arena-rock singalong band of all time

Foos.  Easy choice.  The 1975 has some great tunes in the catalog, but they also have some that seriously get deeply under my skin.  They would be the ones to choose if you don't really care about the music but hope to see their lead singer praise Hitler or drink his own feces.

No comments: