Friday, September 11, 2026

Paris Paloma

One Liner:  A feminist anthem and some Florence and the Machine sounds

Wikipedia Genre:  indie folk, folk pop, dark pop
Home: Derbyshire, UK

Poster Position: Second Quarter - Line 7
Both Weekends. 
WE1 - Friday at 3:30; WE2 - Friday at 5:15

Miller Lite Stage

Thoughts:  I am sometimes curious about where I get my thoughts about musicians from.  Like, would my brain have located Florence and the Machine as the comp for this gal on its own?  Or did that only pop into my head because Wikipedia says that she was heavily influenced by Florence, Hozier, and Ed Sheeran?  I suppose I will never know, but as I listen, I feel like these songs could be passed off as Florence tunes and I wouldn't bat an eye.

She has one mega-hit - "Labour" has two versions that sit atop her Spotify list, one version with 247.8 million streams and one with 425.8 million streams.  She had been releasing singles and trying the music thing since 2020, but when this song hit in 2023 it became a big viral hit because of its subject matter - a feminist anthem about the unpaid labor that women have been made to do throughout history.

Yeah, that is a really good song.  The tune itself is very catchy and ready for a sing-a-long, and then the lyrics are well-done too.  I should probably keep that song away from my wife.

Paloma grew up in Ashbourne, in the English county of Derbyshire, and attended Cheltenham Ladies’ College. She studied Fine Art and History of Art at Goldsmiths, University of London, graduating with a Bachelor of Fine Arts in 2022.  England is weird with the whole "college" before going off to "university" - I wonder if we should adopt that model and then people who finish high school can say they graduated from college.  Austin High College has a nice ring to it.  Also, the one Premier League soccer game I have ever been to was Derby County's game in like 1997.  I can't recall who they played, because our seats happened to be in the Derby supporter section, so those were the cheers we enthusiastically learned and yelled throughout the match.  Good times.

She has a load of singles stretching back to 2020, but only the one album, 2024's Cacophony.  I like that disc as an overall cohesive unit - feels like it should be heard in order to feel it grow and morph over its course.  It appears that a new album will soon be released, as her Spotify right now has slowly growing singles that repeat the same songs after whatever the new song is.  I dislike this modern style of rollout.  Just do one single and then release the disc.  I mainly dislike it because when I try to listen to her catalog for this blog, I end up hearing "Good Boy" nine times before I even get to her one album, since it was the first single and has been included nine times in her catalog since release.  Her biggest release other than the "labour" track is called "the fruits" and was a 2022 single - 87.8 million streams.

Sort of feels like the same cadence as "Labour" without the power of the chorus.  But I definitely hear the Florence feeling in there.  "as good a reason" is another with Florence power and a more upbeat tune that I like.  I have found myself enjoying these tunes over the past two days.  I could see this show being enjoyable.

No comments: