Friday, September 11, 2026

Radio Free Alice

One Liner:  Slight 80's influenced garage rock groove

Wikipedia Genre:  No Wikipedia, but indie rock, garage rock
Home: Melbourne

Poster Position: Late Addition
Weekend Two Only.
Friday at 1:45 (ooof, tough slot)

Miller Lite Stage

Thoughts:   Before the first note is even strummed, my brain is already happy to hear this.  Because their band name brings to mind two things that I love - the REM song "Radio Free Europe" and the Brit band Wolf Alice.  if this can be anything like those two things, then sign me up.

Very odd connection - when I searched for the band, Wikipedia brought up the Valmorbida family, an Italian family that got started with grocery stores in Australia, importation of yummy Italian things into Australia, the Mitchelton winery, a Victorian cheese factory called Tylden Valley, several newspapers, radio networks, and more.  Ends up that one of those family members is the guitarist in this band.  I guess they get free olive oil and coffee in the rehearsal space!

The sounds is sort of catchy garage rock - guitar-forward like The Killers (who they have opened for) or, like, Interpol?  Two Door Cinema Club but calmer?  I also like the bass work, drives the melody and increases the danceability.  "Johnny" sounds like something older - the Furrs or The Cure.

No real album, just a handful of EPs and singles since 2020.  But a handful of those singles are from 2026, so maybe a new disc is on the way.  Top track is "Look What You've Done" with 7.2 million streams.

Live version but you get the idea.  Doesn't that intro sound like something The Killers or the Strokes would have released?  But it is a good little groove.  From one thing I read online, people are calling them nepo babies because they are rich, an industry plant (for the same reason), and maybe racist because they slagged off Usher in a radio interview and covered an Usher song, saying they could do it better.  So, they are not out there making friends right now.

The most popular of the recent tunes in "Lunch Money" with 654k streams.

Got a Morrisey sound in those vocals on that one.  Why would those jerks on the back of the bus steal her lunch money?  And why didn't the singer stand up for her.  What a twat.  I had to ride a bus for two years of elementary school and then both years of junior high and it suuuuucked.  I don't remember losing my lunch money to anyone (I guess I remember always having a lame lunch packed by my mom every day, so no cash to steal, I suppose) but I definitely remember sitting in the wrong seats when the 6th graders felt like showing off by intimidating the little redhead with glasses.  Ahhh, childhood.  But, great song.  The synths sound like the Cure to me and I dig it.

Yeah, I'd go watch.

No comments: