Monday, August 31, 2026

Marzz

One Liner:  Back to the classic and uninteresting style of R&B

Wikipedia Genre:  No Wikipedia, but this is R&B and some rap
Home: Louisville

Poster Position: Bottom Quarter - Line 23
Weekend Two Only
Sunday at 12:45 pm.

BMI Stage.

Thoughts:  Brutal time slot.  Literally up against the Jazz Collective and no one else at the first slot of the day.  Getting blasted by the heat to play some sultry R&B grooves sounds miserable, but I guess she is out there making money as a touring musician and I'm just sitting here like a lump.

She apparently grew up hiding her queer identity in a very religious home in Louisville, KY.  But the interview I am reading is weird about it, like, sounding like she had to hide her identity but then describing how most of her family is "super open-minded" and how supportive her mom, grandma, and Uncle Paul were.  I guess this means her dad was an asshole.  She got started singing to make people smile.  She says people at school would come to her to ask her to sing for them to cheer them up.  That is sweet.  But while in high school, she started posting little freestyles onto Instagram after school, and somehow Timbaland saw one.  He apparently DM'ed her to say "Yo, your pin game is crazy.  We gotta work."  I have no clue what that means, but she told him she was in, and he flew her out three days later.  Since then, she's gotten to open for Jack Harlow, open on the H.E.R. tour, and perform at the Soul Train Awards.

Her first single was in 2020, so I expect that the pandemic really jacked up her rollout.  The put out an EP in 2021 (Love Letterz) that became a full album (Love Letterz 2) in 2022.  Since then, a handful of singles, but nothing else, which seems weird.  I guess that is why she is down at the bottom of the poster, despite being discovered by Timbaland.  Top track is "Countless Times" with 11.8 million streams.

I don't know the term for that beat/rhythm there in the background, but it feels like a frequently used groove for traditional R&B.  The drums and bass laying down a slinky groove while the singer warbles and whispers and squeals over the top.  Never my style of tune, but she has a nice voice.

Second most streamed is "KMS" which is not standing for what I expected (kill my self) but is instead about killing me slowly.  2.8 million streams for the studio version.

More of a rap beat to that one, but the lyrics aren't getting me much of anywhere.  Feels pretty well-trod space and without a special beat or an especially cool voice saying something new.

Not my jam.  If it's yours, I hope you enjoy the heat stroke that will come with the show.

No comments: