Tuesday, August 25, 2026

Presley Regier (no longer on the schedule)

One Liner:  Synth-y dance pop with introspective lyrics

Wikipedia Genre:  No Wikipedia, but this is synth pop and dance pop
Home: NYC

Poster Position: Bottom Quarter - Line 25
Weekend Two Only
No Longer Playing

Thoughts:  Interestingly, this second-to-last line on the poster has some pretty solid stuff.  Off-the-radar and I don't think they deserve to play the Super Bowl halftime show or anything, but all four of the things on this row have caught me off guard and I have listened longer than I needed to.  This one is way more pop forward than I would go for normally, but I've just kind of gone along with it.

This guy is an electronic pop fella, who writes introspective, revealing lyrics about love and life that he sings over the top of bright, poppy, danceable electronic music.  When you search for him on Wikipedia, it is odd, because his name comes up on many other people's page - Doja Cat, Tate McRae, Coco Jones, Big Sean, others - because before he was singing these songs, he was a hot producer for other people.  He taught himself to make beats after listening to Skrillex as a freshman in high school.  How is Skrillex such a touchstone?  This guy calls Recess his "holy grail," which is messed up.  He started making rap beats, and says that he searched Twitter for "send beats to" so that he could send a beat to anyone who had ever tweeted their e-mail address.  And then he spammed the hell out of the world.  Which took some time, and then Roddy Rich signed him to his label at 18.

He has three albums/EPs - 2023's RUN, 2025's SPILL, and 2026's Sensitive to the room.  No wildly successful hits, but the biggest streamer is a 2024 single called "Questions."  5.2 million streams.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZMIxzhtJI4

Dude kind of looks like Scott Farkas from the Christmas Story movie ("so help me God, yellow eyes!"), but who is trying to dance and posture like he is Bieber.  I don't much care for that song,. to be honest.  Moody little number that isn't as fun as much of the other stuff.

His most recent single is "Dirty Shoes" with about half a million streams.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lh6u7dxCCpk

Comes on like an MGMT song, but then his voice hops on there.  I have been planning an NYC trip recently, and watching him walk down the scaffolding-covered sidewalks gets me excited all over again.  But, you get the introspective lyrics about him complaining to someone about why won't they try, while the music sounds like a dance track from the 80's.

I probably won't go see this one, but it is better than some of the other pop on this poster.

No comments: