Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Quick Hits, Vol. 18 (Fat White Family, Joey Bada$$, The Decemberists, Kevin Gates)

The Fat White Family - Champagne Holocaust.  Rolling Stone noted that they were "Hot" something a few weeks ago, although I can't recall the category they won.  These dudes are a sloppy, English mess of guitar and keyboards.  I don't have the foggiest idea what I would call their sound - dirty indie?  Garage weirdo?  As if the cover art (cow/man with a big dong, bloody hammer, bloody scythe, and bottle in his head) wasn't foul enough, the lyrics don't rise up much above the lovely "Is It Raining In Your Mouth."
Right-O!  Somehow, that is the most listened to song of the band on Spotify!  I think I'm cool never listening to this again...

Joey Bada$$ - B4.DA.$$.  Bring it.  After a few mix-tapes, this is the first true album from Bada$$.  New York rapper, he's got the cool jazzy sample sound of some other New York dudes.  The first time I remember this guy is from an A$AP Rocky song, so maybe he only hangs out with people who stylize their names with dollar signs.  Either way, the flow on here reminds me of old Nas or Tribe Called Quest.  "Big Dusty" is the first of second single off of the album:
Grimy voiced stuff over a laaaaid back, but still kind of aggressive, beat.  Laconically ominous? While getting asked to check out his style over and over is a little annoying, this is a good example of the great tunes on this album.  "Piece of Mind" is also money.

The Decemberists - What a Terrible World, What a Beautiful World.  I loved their last album (The King is Dead) for its alt-country flourishes, R.E.M. homage, and well-spoken beauty.  I had the disc in my car for months - just never could bring myself to pull it out of the player.  I remember a few years ago that my friend Jordan asked me to go see them play a show at Stubbs, but I foolishly declined, saying something about Renaissance Faire nerd music.  So very wrong.  This is another good one, with more folk rock jaunty-ness and introspective hymns as well.  The opener brings Beck's sad orchestral music to mind.  "Make You Better" is the hit song:
Yes!  Ron Swanson!  Its an excellent love song in their love-sick, book-nerd style.  Because we actually aren't so starry-eyed anymore, and it feels right to sing about it.  "Lake Song" feels like a Nick Drake homage (and uses the word "prevaricate!") to evoke a lovely sadness in poetry about loss of a love.  "12/17/12" is a harmony-soaked, simple beauty that I thought was about Meloy having a son, maybe the kid's birthday, and along with one portion that I love, about how excited a father is when his son comes around ("How I waste my days wishing you would come around, just to have you around.").  But I just read that the song is actually about President Obama's speech given after the Newtown shootings, which makes the tune even more poignant.  Great album.

Kevin Gates - Luca Brasi 2: Gangsta Grillz.  Another mixtape from this dude, but not a throwaway mix at all.  Solid beats, more of the same lyrically (dealing drugs, getting paid, hooking up, etc.)  He even has a hashtag song (#IDGT = "I Don't Get Tired").  He also repeats "I don't talk on phones" about a jillion times in one song.  You're not solving world problems jamming this stuff out, but you'll feel imminently tough and badass.

No comments: