Monday, December 12, 2016

Best Albums of 2016 (me)

I can't recall how I made this list in past years, but the entire process is honestly very daunting.  I obviously haven't listened to everything in the world, and so I know there are going to be a large number of albums that other people loved that I never even noticed, see: (1) Beyonce's Lemonade, which has never been available on Spotify, and I'm too lazy to hunt it down elsewhere; (2) new Rolling Stone or Kings of Leon, which I just haven't gotten around to listening to yet; or (3) Lady Gaga's new one which I just don't even want to try.

My methodology here was to go through a Wikipedia listing of all 2016 albums and then look back over the Quick Hits I've published from the last year, and see what triggered a good memory.  I'm probably missing out on some things, so just be gentle to me.  So very gentle.

By the way, four funny album observations from this year:
  • "Blaze Ya Dead Homie" is apparently a rapper's name.
  • The Cherry Poppin' Daddies are still making music, many moons after we all got over our Swingers phase.
  • Yanni!  Freaking Yanni is still making records!  And he called his new one "Sensuous Chill."  Damn, Yanni, don't hurt the ladies, man.
  • Daughtry put out an album called "It's Not Over...The Hits So Far."  I feel really sad for them that they decided to call their album that.
I'm well aware that this list is not going to likely track the ones that have been submitted by the big music blogs and magazines.  I predict that the top albums for the nerd analysts are going to be Radiohead, Bowie, and Beyonce, in some order.  I have been very intentional to not look at those professional top ten lists, as I don't want for my thoughts to get mingled up with theirs.  And I'm sure that the new David Bowie and Leonard Cohen are going to get really high marks from everyone who is trying to kiss dead ass.  And I'm sure Beyonce's album will be big this year, as likely will Drake's disc.  But I don't really care, this is my list. Suck it everyone else!  And now that I'm done with this, I'll go out and read other lists and give you some thoughts about what other people said in those.
  1. Sturgill Simpson - A Sailor's Guide to Earth.   I love this album.  Lyrically it is cool and touching and interesting, with the messages he is passing along to his son.  Musically, it is varied and fun because it touches on country, soul, and rock, bringing all of those things together into a great mix.  Honestly, this was the only album on this entire list that felt like an absolute lock to make my year end list.
  2. Red Hot Chili Peppers - The Getaway.  As I've said before, I am a sucker for the Chilis.  Just so good.  And this album is funky enough.  I'm not saying it replaces Blood Sugar or anything, but I keep catching myself singing little snippets of this long after having listened to it.
  3. A Tribe Called Quest - We Got It From Here... Thank You 4 Your Service.  Like the Chilis, I'm a sucker for the Tribe.  But this one stands on its own without even knowing the past - this is how rap is supposed to be.
  4. Highly Suspect - The Boy Who Died Wolf.  What?  Who?  I know, I'm surprised too, but I can't get this album out of my head.  Great old school alt rock that I keep wanting to hear again.
  5. The Struts - Everybody Wants.  Oh man, these guys are so bad ass.  This music isn't going to change the world with its lyrics, but if we could just play this on the battlefield, people would stop wanting to blow each other up, and would just jam out and boogie, and we'd dig up those parking lots and plant paradise in their place.  I'm still sad I missed their second-weekend-only show at ACL.
  6. Paul Simon - Stranger to Stranger.  His show for the ACL taping this year was so very fantastic.  Seriously.  I still have this deep sense of satisfaction having witnessed that show. And this album isn't as amazing as Graceland, but it still has some gems and has grown on me throughout the year.
  7. White Denim - Stiff.  Local dudes doing good work.  This is the only CD I have bought all year, and I've worn the sucker out in my car ever since then.
  8. Jim James - Eternally Even.  Late entry to the game (only released about a month ago, but I keep going back to it.  Kind of funky, but in a low key, chilled way.
  9. Car Seat Headrest - Teens of Denial.  This is good, crunchy alt rock stuff that keeps coming back to me over the year.
  10. Metallica - Hardwired...to Self Destruct.  It isn't their greatest album, but that doesn't mean I'm not going to keep bashing it out and enjoying what they've given me.  The lead single is freaking good stuff.
Those just barely missing the cut: Schoolboy Q, case/lang/veirs, Mudcrutch, Margaret Glaspy, Cage the Elephant, The Record Company, Kamaiyah, Green Day, Foals, All Them Witches, Fitz & the Tantrums, Kendrick Lamar, Sunflower Bean, and Chance the Rapper.

No comments: