Thursday, November 15, 2018

Predicting ACL 2019: Insanely Early Predictions for the Fest with Zero Homework

I just aw a banner ad selling tickets for next year's Shaky Knees Festival (pretty freaking tight, by the way, with Tame Impala, Beck, and Cage the Elephant on the top line.  I'd pay to see each of those bands), and it dawned on me that I've been decadently delinquent in getting started on my predictions for 2019.  By this time last year I probably had 20 prediction posts already up! 

[Note, I did no such thing, I didn't even start until December].

ANNNNNNNND I JUST BOUGHT MY TICKETS FOR NEXT YEAR!


So, without actually doing any homework (except for what I happen to have seen on Twitter or whatever) or digging into who is going to put out new music or who will tour or what the other fests are doing, here are some wild ass guesses.  As usual with my post that happens before the new year has even passed, I know this is ridiculous. Making guesses this early and without any research.  But I have thoughts. They are based on nothing at all. This is pure conjecture. But I feel like I have solid guesses and I need to share them. Here are the top 6 headliners.  

[If you are keeping score at home, I always get these hilariously wrong.  For 2017, I guessed one right (the Chilis) and six wrong (Green Day, Metallica, Steve Aoki, Paul Simon, and Daft Punk).  For 2018, I got a big fat zero (no Beck, Queens of the Stone Age, Arcade Fire, Kanye, Daft Punk, or U2)  So read this for what it is worth.]



  • Dead & Company.  This is purely for my own pleasure.  Please, C3 Gods, bring John Mayer and the remainder of the Dead to Austin and let me bask in the glory of hearing an eighteen minute version of "Sugar Magnolia" live.  These guys could bring a huge crowd, they would match the Austin aesthetic, and I would enjoy it.  Win Win Win.
    • Other major nostalgia act things: Fleetwood Mac?  Elton John is on tour, right?  I still want to guess Paul Simon, but I think his final tour will be done by then.
  • The Cure.  I kind of hope this isn't true, but I saw something on Twitter the other day saying that they were going to tour a bunch of Fests next year.  I saw them a few years ago at ACL, and they were excellent.  I very much enjoyed that show.  But I feel like I've done it - I don't need a further nostalgia trip from them already.  Put out a few good new albums and maybe.  or not.
  • Muse.  They haven't headlined in a few years, but are putting out a new album and heading out on tour.  I bet they get a few big headliner slots.
    • I had originally stuck to my guns here and said Beck. Dammit.  I'm still mad that he didn't show up last year, and now I want to double down on this based on him being on the Shaky Knees lineup.  His last album is kick ass, fun, and exciting -  crosses over into dance and rock at the same time.  He hasn't been to ACL in a few years. He belongs here.
    • If we got Tame Impala in this slot instead, I'd be ecstatic.  Their show a few years ago was absolutely amazing to me.
    • Other rock guesses for this slot - 21 Pilots?  Florence and the Machine?
  • I need at least two EDM headliners.  They'll likely bring Daft Punk once I stop including them in my guesses, but I think those dudes just don't do this stuff anymore.  I saw that Swedish House Mafia was getting back together, and that seemed to have people excited online.  And my kids love that terrible Marshmallo song with Bastille that is all over the radio, so let's go with those two.
  • Gotta stick a rapper in here as well.  My logic last year lead me to Kanye, but his new music is awful and he's just acting so weird, I don't see how he is the guy they choose.  I feel like they've recently done all of the big rappers - Jay-Z, Drake, Kendrick, Chance, RTJ, Cube, Outkast, Eminem, Travis Scott, Lil Wayne - so maybe its going to be one of the garbage new breed like Future or Migos.  Or maybe Cardi B?  Logic?  More likely its someone I don't even know because now I'm old and still think Ice Cube rules, so we'll get D1cEshootuhh69 on the top line of the poster and I'll just be confused.  But none of those people are headliner-grade, right?  I guess I'll guess Cardi B out of the people I've named?  She doesn't feel big enough, but people were PUMPED about Travis Scott and I wouldn't have picked that either.
That is a wack lineup.  Almost certainly entirely wrong.  Not nearly enough star power.  Especially now that ACL opened the door to pop acts like Shawn Mendes - lord knows what we are going to start getting now.  If I were actually choosing for myself, it would be something more like Dead & Company, Chris Stapleton, Beck, Tame Impala, Springsteen, and Kendrick Lamar.

No comments: