Thursday, November 1, 2018

Quick Hits, Vol. 190 (Willie Nelson, Speedy Ortiz, 1000mods, SYML)

Willie Nelson - Last Man Standing.  It does my soul good to hear Willie still making good music.  I don't recall loving his last album, but this one is legitimately good.  You've got clever lyrics - "Last Man Standing" about being the last of his peers to survive to now, "Bad Breath" about halitosis (caused by weed?), and the current political landscape ("Me and You") - and the tunes are still his good picking and harmonica boogies and ballads.  I thought for sure that "Me and You" would be the top song on the album, but I was incorrect.  Instead, it is "Something to Get Through," with 814k streams.
Nice little love song.  My goodness he looks old in that video.  I need to get off my tail and go see this man one more time in concert before there aren't anymore shows.  Wild that his voice still sounds damn fine.  I like this album.

Speedy Ortiz - Twerp Verse.  I like the grungy rock of these songs, but there is something offkey about them all, like the guitars have been tuned down just an inch to be slightly bummed and flat.  Her vocals remind me of classic Liz Phair, but her lyrics are very good.  I remember enjoying an older Speedy Ortiz album, but although I want to be the type of cool kid who digs this music, if I'm being honest, this just kind of vaguely grooves me for 30 minutes and then I forget what I just heard.  There isn't much of a hook on here, just a bunch of same-ish sounding songs with good guitar riffs and clever lines.  The top streamer is "Lucky 88," with just over 500k streams.  Most of the songs have less than 100k.
In a weird, completely unrelated story, I ended up having to survive through the hell of Main Event for four hours last Saturday, and they have a handful of screens in their bowling/bar area that are continuously playing music videos.  And not like, good classic ones or brand new ones.  Instead, it was like a strange selection of mid-oughts pop punk videos, things like Fall Out Boy and All American Rejects and, even more strange, Ashleee Simpson doing some sort of sk8ter boy anthem.  Anyway, the lady in this video who ends up covered in Jolly Green giant jizz looks like Simpson to me (who I hadn't thought about in at least a decade).  I'm OK without this album.

1000mods - Vultures.  Stoner rock from Greece.  Where the hell did this album come from to get into my list of new music to listen to?  No clue, but I'm grooving to it anyway.  Reminds me very much of Red Fang (who freaking rule).  Thick, sludgy, chunky grooves and riffs.  I love the fact that even some Greek dudes (who I'm picturing all as the lead singer for System of a Down, who is likely not even Greek) can swallow all the Sabbath they need to create these tunes.  Album opener "Claws" has the most streams, at 527k.

Comes at you like its about to be a remake of Pearl Jam's "Rearviewmirror," then the waves crash in and the sludgy surfer rock fires up.  The album closer, "Reverb of the New World" also has everything you need to jam out.  Give it all to me.

SYML - In My Body.  The wife, who is not normally a reliable source of new music discovery, pinged me about this group a while back after hearing on of the songs from this album on the radio or Pandora or something.  I don't say this to be mean, its just that the wife is more than happy to just keep listening to the same four CDs she had when I met her (Sarah McLaughlin, Counting Crows, Top Gun Soundtrack, and Dawson's Creek Soundtrack, with maybe a few extra CDs in there I'm conveniently forgetting about).  Anyhoo, I was pumped to have her suggest new music to me for once.  "Where's My Love" was that song, and it is the hit from this EP, with 42.0 million streams.
Freaking beautiful.  I can see why it caught her attention.  Although that video made me frown like a dad for a few minutes.  That girl needs to get her shit together.  Swimming without clothing on in a retention pond that is so close to a large road could lead to serious infection.  Serious.  Also on this EP is a cool cover, kinda electronic, kinda simple piano, of Neil Young's "Harvest Moon."  I'll likely just save that one song and let the rest of this move along.

No comments: