Wednesday, February 19, 2020

Gary Clark Jr with the Dixie Chicks: ACL Live: February 6, 2020

Man.  This was some false advertising bullshit.

If you were to see advertising that said "PROCLAIM JUSTICE PRESENTS
VOICES FOR JUSTICE W/ GARY CLARK JR. W/ THE DIXIE CHICKS" (from do512) or the Chronicle's "Voices for Justice w/ Gary Clark Jr., Dixie Chicks," what would you think you were going to get to see?  Would you expect relatively equal performance time on the stage?  Maybe a whole collaborative show?  Would you expect more than one song from each of the artists listed on that bill?  Or would you definitely expect that one of those two artists was going to take the stage for one single, solitary song, and then sing backup on two more, before bouncing?

A week later, I'm still very annoyed about this.  I bought great seats - four rows up, almost exactly center stage - and the wife and I spent the evening getting ready and jamming classic Dixie Chicks songs while we excitedly discussed which songs they might play.  Neither of us guessed that they would just play "Not Ready to Make Nice" and then peace out.  The tickets were like $250 a piece too.

And here's the other sucky part - Gary Clark Jr. is freaking amazing.  I loved watching him do his thing, even though he never played "This Land," as he stalked the stage and wrecked the set with some hot licks and sweet rock and roll.  He sounded great.  His cover of "Come Together" was molten lava tastiness.  "Pearl Cadillac" was smooth as hell.  But advertising the show as both him AND the Dixie Chicks made it seem like he was just the opener that we needed to get through to get to the reason we came to the show!  So, needless to say, this show was disappointing overall.

Also, that is probably my least favorite of the DC songs that got popular.  Dammit.

And this is on top of the pain-in-the-assery that we experienced getting the tickets.  I got an e-mail telling me when they would go on sale, and so I was waiting by my computer right at that exact moment to snag a pair of tickets.  And as usual, it felt difficult, with Ticketmaster repeatedly telling me that there were difficulties or that the seats I had clicked were already sold.  Anyway, I finally got a pair and celebrated.  Then, a few days later, I got an e-mail saying that the sale had been cancelled because the tickets weren't supposed to be on sale until a week later.  MFers!  They refunded the money but I was so pissed.  Then, the day before the normal sale, they sent another e-mail giving us a new, special code to use to get in to buy an hour before the normal time.  So, cool, right?  Except the freaking code was misspelled.  Idiots!  And, of course, at 9am of whenever the sale started, no one will answer a call at either ACL Live or Ticketmaster.  I was, yet again, highly pissed.  Now I wish it would have stayed broken and I would have saved that $500.

No comments: