Friday, November 19, 2021

Chvrches: ACL Live: November 10, 2021

If I see more shows like this, Chvrches may become an actual favorite band.  Really great, high energy show.

The funny thing that my wife observed during the show is how weird this band looks as a group.  You've got the pretty, tiny Lauren Mayberry out front, belting out the lyrics, dancing around, changing her outfit every handful of songs.  And then behind her there are these two heavy-set dudes in all black who look like they are roadies who got picked to come out and play with the girl.  They barely interact, although the two dudes come out from behind their synths sometimes to wail on their guitar or bass.  But otherwise they're back there in the shadows, while the spotlight stays focused on Mayberry.  And there was a drummer for the live show, which was a good addition to give some more ooomph to the tracks.

They did a great job of including the best songs from the new album and a lot of the best tunes from the prior albums.  The show flowed very well.  And, at least from my perspective, their tunes sounded amazing.  I bet I leaned over to my wife four times during the show to show her the goosebumps rolling up my forearms.  

The best part was definitely the three song encore, when they played "Asking for a Friend" (a new favorite from the new album), "The Mother We Share," and "Clearest Blue."  Hell yeah.  Sent me out of the show floating on a cloud.  My only quibble is that I wish I had been closer to the show for those last three songs so that it wouldn't have looked so weird to jump around and pump my fists in the air as I sang "YOU STILL MATTER!" to the world.

No comments: