Thursday, November 10, 2022

Doug Stone

One Liner: Mr. Sensitive!

Wikipedia Genre: Country

Home: Nashville (but originally from Marietta, GA)

Poster Position: Small Type 
Saturday.

Thoughts:  Definitely haven't heard of this one.  The "I'd Be Better Off (in a Pine Box)" song sounds a little familiar, but I definitely don't know it.  I searched for "Why Didn't I Think of That," because my brain tells me that George Strait sang that song.  Apparently not, but I want for you to know what Wikipedia says about this song: "The song's narrator is a man who did not treat his lady right, so he watches another man treat his lady right."  That stilted delivery makes me laugh.

Douglas Jackson Brooks is 66 years old, and has two platinum albums, twenty-six charted singles (including eight number 1's), and is apparently known for his frequent recording of ballads.  His mom was also a country singer, and he got to open for Loretta Lynn at age 7.  He was discovered while singing at a VFW hall, and he chose to record under the name Doug Stone to avoid any confusion with Garth Brooks.  Another good nugget from Wikipedia: "Zell Miller, author of They Heard Georgia Singing, wrote that Stone has "established himself as a mellow country crooner who is known as 'Mr. Sensitive'" and "the Dean Martin of country music because of his unique flair for communicating the fragility of a broken heart with his delicate baritone voice and laid-back style." "

11 albums, but it sure looks like the hot stuff was back in 1990 - 1992, and then he's been meandering around in the wilderness ever since.  Spotify is fun with his music, in that the first two albums listen in his discography are Greatest Hits and Super Hits.  he already had a pile of his before his first album!  But his top streamers are from his eponymous album from 1990, and then his 1992 third album From the Heart.  After that, he never gets any sort of major stream count at all.  Let's hear a few tunes from Mr. Sensitive!  "Why Didn't I Think Of That" with 12 million streams.
I know that most of the artists on this poster could easily be called formulaic, but that is exactly what comes to my mind as I listen to this guy.  Definitely feels like a dude with a really nice voice was handed some lyrics and a backing band and told to make magic.  He's very soft in these, it's bordering on some yacht rock, that just happens to have steel guitar and fiddles.  "I'd Be Better Off (In a Pine Box)" with 8.7 million streams.
That really is a good song, as far as sad sack songs of depression go.  I appreciate that he's actually from Georgia, when he is singing about going back to Georgia.  Way to ruin your ex's freaking wedding day too!  Jerk!  But that is a very good song.  I like it.

This is not a show that I would prioritize during my Saturday afternoon.  I like some of it, but his overall schtick isn't as appealing, and I have zero nostalgia points for this either.

No comments: