Wednesday, November 30, 2022

Niko Moon

One Liner: Trap beats and mega-generic good times lyrics with a tiny country flair

Wikipedia Genre: Country pop

Home: Nashville (but originally from Marietta, GA)

Poster Position: Small Type 
Saturday.

Thoughts:  Oh no.  No, no, no.  This sucks so hard.  I'm sorry, I'm sure there are people out there who love this, but I absolutely abhor it.  Just the worst stuff that could possibly exist in the musical world.

What we have here is super generic drum machine beats with some slight angle towards country, like a banjo lick in the background or a steel guitar bit during the chorus, but it is really just trash pop/trap/R&B with deeply idiotic lyrics.  "Girl you got that top shelf" type lyrics.  "When the sun goes down we gonna keep it goin' all night" type lyrics.  I really can't handle it.  Here is the top song - "GOOD TIME," with an amazing 119.8 million streams.
"like a bobber on a wet line."  59 million views of that video!  I will never understand why people want to listen to this.  Of course, it's catchy as hell.  I get that this is going to stick in my head after I listen to this, and never want to leave, and later tonight my simian brain is going to tell me about passing a bottle around the campfire and I'm going to want to jump into that fire.

Nicholas Cowan has written songs for a bunch of other new country artists - Dierks Bentley, Zac Brown Band, Rascal Flatts, and Morgan Wallen.  He was originally from Tyler, Texas, but moved to Georgia when he was ten.  He first found success writing with the Zac Brown Band but split out and signed his own contract with RCA Nashville in 2019.  One album, 2021's Good Time.  "EASY TONIGHT" makes me think of the bassline from Big Boi's "The Way You Move."  Most of the streams for these tracks are much lower, like in the million neighborhood (which, yeah, is a million times better than anything I've ever done!) but it feels like a few of these were added to big playlists and became song of the summer for a certain brand of Alabama frat bro.  Second biggest tune is "PARADISE TO ME" with 35 million streams.
You can't help but sort of like the goofy bastard too.  His smile is amazing.  But those lyrics are so generic.  Feels like an AI made it when you asked it to put together the most generic set of images for a bro party.  cold one, pina colada, pine tree, whiskey and cola, Willie, ocean breeze, lake front, paradise.  Good job computer.

I will very much avoid this.  This feels like the wrong path that country needs to come back from.  I hope it is fun for anyone who ventures over there.

No comments: