Wednesday, January 11, 2023

Elvie Shane

One Liner: Ex-American Idol guy representing all the stepdads everywhere!

Wikipedia Genre: Country

Home: Nashville (but originally Kentucky)

Poster Position: small Type 
Sunday.

Thoughts:  When I clicked on this name, I mentally asked myself if I thought this would be a guy or gal.  I was incorrect.  I figured that Elvie must be the female derivative of Elvis.  

My man is trying to corner the market on all step-father songs here, with his biggest hit "My Boy" followed up by "My Boy - My Girl Version."  Which I'm sure is lovely for the stepdads and mothers of stepchildren and maybe even the stepchildren out there, but it more reminds me of those shirts that say, "I'm Not The Step-Dad, I'm The Dad That Stepped Up."  Is that proper English?  Shouldn't it be the dad "who" stepped up?  Yep, I KNOW things!

Anyway, here is that big hit.  46.1 million streams.
Could this dude look any more like a hipster affecting a country lilt in his voice to try to change a style?  The sentiment of the song is lovely.  Same with the girl one - it is nice to think of a stepdad who cares that much about the stepson (even though he's definitely going to break up with your mom and leave you, despite all of those things he is saying in this song.  Sorry kid.  Thems the breaks.)

He grew up in Kentucky, singing at his church.  He attended Western Kentucky University, but ended up dropping out to follow his music dream.  That dream got him onto American Idol in 2016, and although he was eliminated in the first round, he got a record deal and started firing songs up onto the radio.  Just one album - 2021's Backslider - a 15 song album that almost gets to an hour long.  As an aside, I find his voice abrasive and don't love it - a little whiny, a little affected, a little purposely strained in the wrong ways.  Sorry if you love it, I find it annoying after a few tracks.  Most of the songs on his album are under 250k streams, with just a few that have popped with over 2 million.  The second-biggest is "County Roads," with 8.6 million streams.  NOT "Country Roads."
That one reminds me of Eric Church, trying to get a little rock and roll in a song dripping with nostalgia.  Something about it makes me think of when Kid Rock is trying to seem like a tough country bumpkin.  I don't love it.

No comments: