Thursday, November 16, 2023

Hannah Dasher

One Liner: Brassy, confident country plus a cleverly named cooking show.

Wikipedia Genre: No Wikipedia, but I'll say Country and Country Rock
Home: Nashville (via Savannah, GA)

Saturday

Thoughts:  Wow.  That is some hair.  Her main photo in Spotify is from kind of a sideways angle, and so she's kind of looking over her shoulder, and the appearance it gives is like the most full wig that has ever been created a for a human.  At least double the size of her face.

Her bio says that she had to work her ass off to get up on that stage: "“In order to pay my band, I had to start cleaning houses and sell all my guitars, including the first and only one my daddy ever gave me. For years, I wrote songs and played shows on borrowed guitars,” Dasher recalls. “Eventually, I scrubbed enough toilets to buy my first Gibson.”"  When she moved to Nashville, she was working at Bass Pro Shops and working on her songs.  She got fired for writing songs while on the clock.  The cassettes she wore out when she was young are supposedly: Patsy Cline’s Greatest Hits, Clint Black’s Killin’ Time and Alan Jackson’s A Lot About Livin' (And a Little 'bout Love).  Solid list.  She also has a degree from the University of Georgia, which seems rare among most of these artists, a full-on college degree.

Another fun anecdote: "During the quarantine summer of 2020, Dasher decided to try out her comedic, country music-infused cooking series, "Stand By Your Pan" on TikTok. Within six months, her platform grew from 12,000 followers to over a million. “People appreciate that I’m authentically unfiltered Hannah, and I’m very confident in who God made me to be,” she says."  I can't access TikTok from the work computer, but I'll have to go check that out.  Oh wait, you can see them on something called YouTube Shorts.  Didn't know this.
Okay.  She's fuckin' hysterical.  Also, those biscuits look freaking amazing.  I'm sure there are a million other funny people doing cooking videos on TikTok and YouTubeShorts (or whatever it is called), but that is good times.  "wooooooh, honey, hush."  Total character.  Love it.

So, music.  We are here for the music.  Right.  Two EPs (2021's The Half Record and 2023's The Other Damn Half) and a handful of singles in the midst.  "You're Gonna Love Me" is a great declaration of a new artist being brassy and confident to tell you that she kicks ass and you're gonna dig it.  But the top track from the first EP is "Leave This Bar," with 1.4 million streams.
Classic new country tune right there.  Sorta rock.  Strong voice.  Lyrics involving cold beer and blue jeans, and then a twisted metaphor used as part of the title or chorus.  Pretty good song.  I like "You're Gonna Love Me" better.  The newer EP has the more popular tunes in her Spotify list, even if the stream counts haven't yet caught up.  The top track for now is "Cryin' All The Way to the Bank."  110k streams.
Another classic trope - get all his damn money in the divorce and go spend it!  Yeehaw!  Good, not great tune.  I like "Ugly Houses" or "Redneck Ass" better off of that album.  "Go To Bed Early" is the least streamed tune on the disc and I think it is pretty solid.

While I doubt I'll save any of these songs for future listening, I think this show would probably be damn fun.  She just seems like someone who doesn't give a damn and wants to jam out and have a good time.

No comments: