Tuesday, March 19, 2024

Predicting ACL 2024: Lollapalooza Announced

Oh no.


Ooooof.  I'm sure there are some teenagers out there who are freaking pumped right now, but that is a brutal lineup for someone with my musical tastes.  Hozier might be the only band on that group of headliners who I would pay to see separately from a festival.  I like the Killers well enough, but I've seen them repeatedly and really don't need them again.  Stray Kids is apparently a K-pop boy band.  Melanie Martinez is terrible.  I saw Future and he was mediocre.  Tyler doesn't interest me at all.  SZA has some cool songs, but I just don't love R&B.  Skrillex still exists?

And then in the smaller type, it really never gets much better.  I remember Deftones having a few good songs thirty years ago.  Two Door Cinema Club is fun.  Killer Mike and Vince Staples are legit. I like Wilderado and Militarie Gun.  Cool to see Briscoe on here.  

But if this lineup showed up in Austin I would legit have a hard time.  Unless all of those smaller artists are rad rock and roll bands.  Actually, let's just quickly sample:
  • Post Sex Nachos - "Talk About It" is generic synth rock that feels like 40 of the things on last year's ACL lineup.
  • Quarters of Change - "Kiwi" is a soft-rock indie thing whispered by some dude that gets a little jam bandy after a while.
  • Wisp - "Your face" feels like the Deftones wanted to cover that Slowdive band from the 90's but with a female singer.  I kinda like it.
  • It's Murph - "Food for the Soul" is thumping techno/house.
Yeah, none of those poke out as helping me get excited about the lineup.  Man, I really hope some of my predictions are right, or this year may be a tough one!  I'm going to dive deeper into these headliners and their schedules soon.

No comments: