One Liner: The sweet swagger of catchy rock and roll
Poster Position: Late Addition
Both Weekends.
Saturday at 1:15
American Express Stage
Thoughts: Right when I thought I was done, then I notice that they snuck this gal into the early afternoon on Saturday. But I am two minutes in and am very pleased. She sounds like someone else, like my brain is trying to come up with the band she is already in. Maybe no one. Let's dig in.
Her Wikipedia is an extremely boring recitation of when music was released. Like this: "DiRusso released her first two songs, "Gone/Blue Walls," in 2017. DiRusso's third song was released in 2018 titled "Dead Dogs". DiRusso released her fourth song in 2018 titled "Don't Swerve."" And then the only facts below that are that she grew up in something called Croton-on-Hudson, New York and is queer.
TINY DESK!!!
That eye makeup is really something. But the music itself is great - reminding me of The Beths with those harmonies and light riffage. Courtney Barnett? Olivia Rodrigo? My brain really wants to find the vibe that she reminds me of. I think that I keep coming back to Rodrigo - she has some of the same vocal mannerisms, and they both do poppy sounding words over the top of good riffage. I want you to hear "Muck" even though it is not the top streamer, but it was the first song I heard and I think the riffs are salty. 1.5 million streams.
That one locks me in. Straight grungy rock and roll with delicious fuzz. "Good Ass Movie" is fun too. There is some little tile on Spotify under a title of "Featuring Annie DiRusso" and the tile is an image of a woman in a red mock turtleneck, mouth slightly open, and eyes up and to the right, and as my eyes flitted past I thought that the title of the playlist was Today's Indie Rock fr. Jackin. Double take. What do we have here? But no, it says "ft. Julia Jacklin." My mind is still locked in 8th grade sometimes...
Not sure why she has a song called "Derek Jeter," but it has a spoken word part in the middle about something that happened at some game in the World Series against the Diamondbacks. Very odd. I guess she is originally from New York, so maybe that is her favorite player so she decided to make a very short and very weird tribute song. She went to Belmont University, which I suppose is what got her to Nashville, and I like the lane that she chose to pursue with her music. She says that her inspiration to do music came from when she was 10 or 11, and watched a bootleg Taylor Swift documentary, and was inspired when Swift said that people should learn to write songs. "Frisco Forever" feels like a well-written one about escaping a place tied to a relationship.
Her top streamer is a single from 2021 called "Coming Soon." 12.3 million streams.
Shout out to all of the formerly gifted and talented kids who are now just farting along in life wondering why you aren't the highest paid NASA scientist in the world or whatever. Do you hear the Rodrigo in there when she sings in harmonies and barks "that's so disgusting to me!" Anyway, not quite as rifftastic, but still a good one.
She has some bangin' covers in here too, like "Complicated" with Ruston Kelly (they do another duet on her new album and they sound great together, "Wearing Pants Again," a really nice tune) and "I Think Were Alone Now." She has toured with/opened for HAIM, beabadoobee, and Djo, so she is getting some good notice. I think the music sounds fantastic. I doubt anyone will be there for the 1:15 slot on Saturday, but this is worth a listen to me.
No comments:
Post a Comment