Friday, September 11, 2026

S.G. Goodman

One Liner: Americana leaning into lite rock and roll with great lyrics

Wikipedia Genre: Americana, folk, country, rock
HomeHickman, KY

Poster Position: Third Quarter - Line 18

Day: Friday at 2pm
Weekend Two Only.

BeatBox Stage

Thoughts: When I saw this on the poster, I figured it was S.L. Houser, who was at ACL last year and offers music lessons for Austinites.  Nope, another lady using initials to confuse and entertain.  (also, not L.P. Giobbi or M.J. Lenderman, who were both at ACL last year.  Initial Artists for all!).

Also, she is coming to Bourbon and Beyond in September, so I might get to see her there.

She is pretty good!  She was raised in Hickman, Kentucky, which is a tiny town on the Mississippi River, in that little key-tip of Kentucky.  I have never been to Kentucky.  I am realizing, looking at the map, that it is just north of Tennessee (where I have been), and just south of Ohio, Indiana, and Missouri (where I have never been).  Recently, someone hit me up for a free ticket to an ACL taping for her.  Wish I could have gone.

She was raised in the Southern Baptist church and says she went three times a week.  That seems like too much church, but I think I did the same with Sunday morning, Sunday night, and Wednesday night.  Good times.  She has also been driving since she was seven, which is apparently legal in Kentucky.

The tunes are kind of a mix of Sierra Ferrell's quasi-country Americana and Lucinda Williams' soulful, rockin' Americana.  I have been enjoying it quite a bit.  She got started in 2017 with an album with something called The Savage Radley, and then 2020 was her solo debut called Old Time Feeling.  Produced by Jim James of My Morning Jacket, I think it has a cool combined sound.  That one includes her most popular song, "Space and Time," with 10.7 million streams.
Tyler Childers covered this later, likely being the reason it launched into popularity.  Here and there, that little vibrato she does for a second in the second line can get to be too much in some of these songs, but overall, I think she is a really good songwriter with some good chill vibes.  Like "Snapping Turtle," from 2025's Planting by the Signs, where you believe she is about to join some kids in torturing a turtle before she turns the stick on those little shits and makes them cry - I can see it all in my mind's eye and I really like it.  She also does a dope cover of the Butthole Surfers' "Pepper" that includes some great guitar.  

I'd go watch her.

No comments: