Friday, September 11, 2026

Macy Todd

One Liner:  Country-tinged folky pop for the heat of the day

Wikipedia Genre:  No Wikipedia, but pop, country pop, folky pop, Americana
Home: Georgia (now in Nashville)

Poster Position: Late Addition
Weekend Two Only.
Saturday at 12:45

BMI Stage

Thoughts:   Another new artist popping up with a terrible slot - hottest part of the day when everyone is still having lunch and watching college football.  And she only gets 30 minutes, during the second weekend, so she is not getting many favors from the Fest here.  I am pegging her tunes somewhere in between Sheryl Crow and Miley Cyrus.  Oh, sorry, just MILEY.  Wait, unless that was a different artist.  Macy only has about 10-11 songs, so her stuff keeps ending and Spotify plays someone else who sounds just like her.  So it is a little confusing.

Originally from Georgia, she lives in Nashville now.  Her music angles into the country world, and once I read that a Brandi Carlile song got her into music in the first place, I think that sort of comp makes sense.  Not fully country, but not fully folky pop either.  She also said that she spent a few years in Austin, saying that there was something about being here that brought out her Americana roots.  She also said something interesting - she gets bored coming up with chords, so she'll go listen to classic rock deep cuts and look up the chords to figure out what they were doing that worked.  I think that is sort of cool.  So, instead of the Vampire Weekend feel of them copying classical progressions, she's figuring out what Deep Purple did on a B-Side from the Carter administration.

Her first album apparently went nowhere because of the dumb pandemic.  She couldn't tour on it and it just sort of withered.  You can't hear it on Spotify now either (unless these songs are from that disc.  I dunno.) but what she has available right now is pretty enjoyable.  I've just been bopping along to these for the day and I enjoy it.

Top track is "someone to you" with 453k streams.  Can we please go back to the days of using capitalization?  I know this is a boomer take, but it really bugs me.

It's that raspy voice and the vibrato right there at the start that gets me thinking Miley immediately.  Also, the closed captioning on that video is psychotic, inserting [singing] and [music] into random spots.  Like, the lyric doesn't end so that music is inserted?  What is going on.  I bet it is because someone didn't use capitalization.  Second biggest streamer is a stripped down beaut - "love of my life" that is apparently about her family, who now live in Colorado, and she is sad about not seeing them enough.  175k streams.

She claimed that she tried multiple takes for that one, while she was living here in Austin, and her label decided that the super basic version was the winner.  I think I agree.  I mean, I will not be in the park at noon, so I will not see this, but I think it sounds really nice.


No comments: