Friday, June 27, 2014

Classics: Mermaid Avenue

I have, for years, thoroughly enjoyed Volume One of the Mermaid Avenue project that Billy Bragg and Wilco did together.  The album is a 1998 alt-rock/alt-country masterwork that uses previously unheard lyrics of Woody Guthrie over music performed by Wilco and sung by Billy Bragg. Guthrie apparently left over a thousand songs-worth of lyrics behind when he died, and his daughter has sought to get some of those out there to the world.
These songs swerve between the silly ("Christ for President" or "Hoodoo Voodoo") and the more serious ("At My Window Sad and Lonely), but there are two songs on here that are absolute classics for me.  I have put them in more playlists and on more mixes than I can count.  Yes, I still make mixes like back in the junior high days.  First, California Stars.
It is a spare little guitar and piano tune over the top of some loose drum and Jeff Tweedy singing a love song to California and the gal sharing it with him.  Such a relaxed little groove.  Next, is Way Over Yonder in the Minor Key.
More light touch with the guitar, keyboard, and violin, along with Natalie Merchant harmonizing along.  It has kind of an Irish lilt to the song, but the lyrics are all about this kid using his singing skills to mack on young ladies in his country bumpkin home.  One more from that album - At My Window Sad and Lonely.
So eloquently captures the sadness of waiting and wishing for someone.  Love it.  And the most amazing part to me is how well the lyrics and the music mesh, when the lyricist had been dead for 30+ years by the time these new versions hit the streets.  Such a cool project.
Mermaid Avenue Vol. 2 came out a few years later, in 2000, and was not nearly as strong of an album, but still retains the same fun spirit and lyricism.  I think my favorite is "My Flying Saucer," which is likely not the strongest lyrical expression of Guthrie's political songwriting, but definitely shows his playful side.

Much later, in 2012, a third volume was released with 17 more songs recorded during the original sessions.  Again, significantly weaker to me than the original disc, but still a fun listen.  My highlights on here are "Ought to be Satisfied Now" and "Jolly Banker," which is a fun take-down of the fat-cat bankers of 70 years ago, which still resonates well with the financial collapse of a few years ago.  Sample feel good lyric sung by the Jolly Banker character: "I'll come down and help you, I'll rape you and scalp you, I'm the Jolly Banker, Jolly Banker am I."

I don't remember who originally turned me on to the first album - I suspect it was KGSR back before they lost their way.  I hope something in here fires you up as well.  Spotify has all three albums available for play in one big, fat pile.  Go enjoy.

No comments: