Monday, June 2, 2014

Icona Pop

Non-stop dance party.  I really like their big hit, "I Love It" (as do more than 74 million YouTube users) - it is a great dance pop anthem to not giving a damn:

I really hate the KidzBop version my children listen to, because they censor/change more than just the cuss words and take the careless joy out of the song by not even letting them crash their car.  Come on, man.  Let little kids know about crashing cars and watching them burn!  This is a good example!

This is a duo of Swede ladies who came out with I Love It in 2012 and blew up.  That song has since been featured in a slew of video games, TV shows, commercials, and every radio on the planet.

I played their one album 4 times today to get a good feel for it, and it is all thumping, danceable good time EDM.  However, nothing is as good as that major hit.  Second place to me is In the Stars (which doesn't have an official video, but you can hear here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-jAEM-oEiQ).  Their next biggest song is apparently We Got The World, which is a remarkably similar thing.

Instead of crashing cars and not caring, you get people think we're freaks because we have fun but we are just crazy and cool and stuff over and over again, over the top of a dance-able but relatively basic EDM thump.  They keep all their songs nice and short, the longest one on their album is 3:20, while five of their songs don't even crack the 3 minute mark.  Which is good, bang it out and move on to the next party.

I expect these guys will be up against other big acts, so I kind of doubt that I'll go see them.  But I think they would put on a fun party of a show.

No comments: