Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Quick Hits, Vol. 30 (Steve Earle, IamSu, Will Butler, Saint Motel)

Steve Earle - Terraplane.  I love me some Steve Earle.  His two-disc "Ain't Never Satisfied" got me through a couple lean musical years living in Dallas, when the radio was full of pretty heavy duty garbage, and I was driving a million miles a day from central Dallas to Lewisville and back for my first job out of college.  "Copperhead Road" freaking rules.  Anyway, this is his new disc with The Dukes, and it is more good time country blues rock music that doesn't break the mold Earle previously set for his music.  "Baby Baby Baby (Baby)" wins for best song title, and is a fun boogie of a tune as well, while "The Tennessee Kid" is a cool storyteller riff on the devil taking his due from the kid.  Here is the final tune off the album, "King of the Blues."  Salty.

IamSu - Sincerely Yours 1.5.  This is a crazy long (22 tracks) album from this Cali rapper with a weird name. Uneven as a whole, but some of the tracks are solid.  His hit is this weird video over a pretty basic rap about being real and awesome and stuff.
I am not a fan of the dumb AutoTune action, but he is definitely the best of these three rappers (Sage the Gemini and 2 Chainz).  I also dig "I Love My Squad."  However, know that this is not all that lyrically interesting.  Lots of brags and getting my money and not being scared and gettin' dem ladies and blah blah blah...

Will Butler - Policy.  Great solo debut from one of the Arcade Fire guys.  It is kind of all over the place, ranging from the opener's jangly Brit-rock, some 80's pop to piano ballad to rock and roll, but I think it is super cool.  Here is "Anna," which sounds like an old Devo track.
My only beef with the album after a few listens is that it is so short.  8 songs and 27 minutes?  Less than half an hour?  Come on, man.  Well, hopefully this will just be the first salvo in more to come from the less famous Butler.

Saint Motel - My Type EP.  Great funky dance rock.  Feel like I have heard these tunes before, but they are awesome.  Play "My Type," below, and try not to feel like grooving out.  Horns, cowbell, and a funky disco beat.  Get some.
The rest of this EP is just as fun, with loads of good times.  Pop rock crackling in your ears.  Reminds me of the good Franz Ferdinand songs, sing-along party songs you can dance to.

No comments: