Monday, August 31, 2015

Schedule Thoughts: Sunday 2015

The grande finale.  Except for this year, when the grande finale bands have already played and we get closed out by some other groups that would normally be 7 o'clockers in other years.  But whatever!  it is going to be great fun anyway.  As described in my notes about surviving ACL, I enjoy taking a slow start to the Sunday shows, which means I am going to miss out on one of my Silver Medal bands in Ume, who find themselves playing at 12:30.  Sorry to miss them, but I think I'll enjoy some football and drinks instead.

Before I get in to the day, I have to admit something.  I crapped all over the Weeknd, and I still think that the majority of the music I've heard from him is lame.  But his new single "Can't Feel My Face," which may have been the song of the summer, is a Michael Jackson flavored jam.  My kids love it, I sing it over and over in my head after the song is over, it is unstoppable stuff.
I mean, what is that thing on your head, man?  I don't know.  But the song is a well-crafted pop hit.

The playlist for Sunday, jam this in preparation for the big day:

 


Sunday:
If I were to go to the 'fest early, I'd likely try to go see Waxahatchee, Ume, and Amason. More likely I'll take my time and show up for the 2:30 slot.

2:30: Lord Huron.  Really nice harmonic stuff, and it is going to be an excellently chill way to start out the afternoon.

3:30: Strand of Oaks.  Sylvan Esso had a good song or two, but I think I'd rather go hear what the rock-tinged sound of Strand of Oaks will sound like in person.

4:30: The Decemberists.  Far as I'm concerned, they should be closing out the night.  I'd much rather hear an hour and a half of what they have to say than the Strokes.

5:30: Chance the Rapper.  Kind of bummed that I'll miss out on the two other key rap acts (Run the Jewels and A$AP Rocky), so this is an OK consolation prize.  Curious if he'll stick to the older mixtape tunes, bring out new raps, or bring his odd jazz band along to play tunes off their new album?

6:30: Of Monsters and Men.  Easy call.   The others playing this slot deserve a 2:30 slot as far as I'm concerned.  

7:30: Hozier.  Slightly pulled here, Dwight Yoakam would be cool to see, but I've been waiting to see Hozier since last summer and will not be denied this time!  I will not!

8:30: I guess I'll go watch the Strokes.  Maybe them for 30 minutes, then go see what the Weeknd is all about?  I wish Disclosure or Bassnectar had that Weeknd slot, hell, I wish just about anyone I was interested in had that slot.  I don't much care about either of these two "headliners."  But maybe I'll be converted on the spot this year.

2 comments:

Joseph Cathey said...

HOW CAN YOU NOT GO SEE DWIGHT YOAKUM??????

Joseph Cathey said...

What's up with the Strokes' hate?

LAST NIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGHT!!! SHE SAAIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIID!!!!