Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Lollapalooza 2015 Line-Up

As I stated a few weeks ago, you can usually look to the Lolla line-up to get clues for what C3 is going to book for ACL.  2014 had major (7 of 9) overlap between the big acts booked:  Eminem, Outkast, Skrillex, Calvin Harris, Lorde, The Avett Brothers, and Foster the People.  So maybe you can figure out a few things from the lineup released this morning.

Big Three:
- Paul McCartney.  Sorry, but not entirely pumped about that.  I recall people digging him when he came to the Erwin Center a few years ago, but whatevs.
- Metallica.  A) Called it.  B) Would be freaking super fun and amazing to go thrash around to Metallica.  Please come to Austin.  I will scream For Whom the Bell Tolls at max volume for you.
- Florence + the Machine.  A) Called it.  B) I'd love to go see her.  Amazing voice and good music.

Next Six:
- Sam Smith.  As previously discussed, yawn.
- Bassnectar.  Pretty fun two or three years ago at ACL, but nothing I'd go out of my way to see.
- The Weeknd.  Don't know what this means.  They need spellcheck.  According to the Lolla website, this guy made music for 50 Shades of Grey and is an "Alternative R&B revolutionary."  That sounds flipping awful.
- alt-J.  Liked their first album, am not hip enough to comprehend their new album.
- Alabama Shakes.  Like them well enough, although their set at ACL a few years ago was disappointing.
- Of Monsters and Men.  Great music, although I've seen them twice now at festivals and their music just doesn't translate well to the big stage and big crowd.

Line Six of the Poster:
I've never heard of any of these groups.  I feel like I know a lot of music.  This is lame.  If you are a big fan of Kygo, Carnage, Twenty One Pilots, of G-Eazy, I apologize for not being in your wheelhouse.

Other things I'd love if they brought them to Austin:
A$AP Rocky.
TV on the Radio.
Gary Clark Jr.
Father John Misty.
Sturgill Simpson.
First Aid Kit.
Moon Taxi.
Shakey Graves (called it!).

By the way, for all of me saying I called stuff, I missed on just about everything except for Florence, Sturgill Simpson, Lotus, Father John Misty, and Shakey Graves.  That's about a 5% rate, so I find myself successful!  Depressing thing is that I feel like I am pretty up on new music and yet I have no clue who half of these bands/people are.  About a month until ACL announces!  Pretty excited!


4 comments:

Joseph Cathey said...

Wait....is "Florence + the Machine" a headliner act now? Really? When did this happen? They have one song I know.

If they are one of the biggest acts to come to ACL I will light that place on fire.

Joseph Cathey said...

Upon further review, this lineup sucks as bad as any major festival lineup has ever sucked.

Joseph Cathey said...

Basically what I'm trying to say is that there is garbage, there is then 100 feet of crap, and then there is this lineup.

If this is what ACL looks like I'm going to be less than pleased.

Jack said...

Wow. JC tells us how he really feels. And I like that you made the comments over the course of one afternoon, as though you were still hot about the lineup, didn't feel like calling it the worst lineup in the history of festivals was strong enough, so you came back an hour later to make sure you were clear. That being said, I tend to agree that, for me, this line-up lacks enough top line stars I want to see. When I would only go out of my way to see one of the top nine, that is a disappointment.