Thursday, April 16, 2015

Updated ACL 2015 Lineup Predictions


First, you can go check out my prior thoughts and ideas for how to predict this sort of thing here. Second, a few things have happened since then that make me think some of my predictions are right, while some are not going to happen.
  1. I've had two months to let my prior predictions marinate in my head a little bit, and I just don't think we'll see any of the big LiveNation people signed up for ACL as I had hoped for.  I think there would have been some sort of news or Lolla would have tipped us.  I guess I can still hope that we get Madonna over Macca.
  2. The Lollapalooza line-up announced.
  3. Adequate Man put up an interesting article about how to book a music festival.  I took a look at this and then ran through the list of people with new albums coming out soon.  I couldn't access the Pollstar information because of a paywall, but I'm also not sure how much I can trust this article, seeing how much reliance he/they place on Pitchfork reviews.  But, now I know who has new albums coming out.
Regarding the Lolla line-up, I doubt we will see Sam Smith again since he was here last year.  But I can see the rest of the top headliners coming here, although I hope they are further down the list to make room for some other big names.  Here are a few on the Lollapalooza lineup that I see coming here.
  1. Florence and the Machine. Called this one previously, but with the addition to Lolla, and new album coming out in June.  I'm certain it will happen.  I just hope they are down on about line 3.
  2. Metallica.  Called this one too, because they had cancelled their own festival that C3 also books. Now that they were booked to play Lolla, this sounds right.  Their touring schedule ends in August, so they are wide open.
  3. Sturgill Simpson.  On the Lolla bill, recently played two sold out shows for C3's Stubb's.  Insanely popular right now.
  4. Father John Misty.  Same thing for him.
  5. Shakey Graves. Lolla date, New album, blowing up right now, and from Austin. 
  6. Alt-J, Alabama Shakes, Of Monsters and Men, and A$AP Rocky.  All on the Lolla bill, plus Alabama and Of Monsters each have a new album coming out in the next few months.  Lord Huron.  Gary Clark Jr.  War on Drugs.
But of those, only Metallica should be a top tier headliner.  How about other bands who have new albums coming out in the next few months and could be the big names on the lineup:
  1. My Morning Jacket.  Putting out a new album in May, have played kick ass sets at ACL before, and would be a good draw.  Playing Lolla Germany in September, so maybe they are in with the C3 folks and ready to party.
  2. Mumford & Sons.  New album coming out in early May, and again, would fill some seats.  Both them and MMJ would be great festival music.  Their concert schedule only goes through August.  But, the official ACL facebook feed recently asked the world if we had listened to the latest from Mumford.  Could be smoke, but I think there is fire here.
  3. AC/DC.  Mentioned this one before, but I've now looked at their touring schedule, and it goes to L.A. at the end of September and then pauses for the month of October before picking back up in November in Australia.  Looks like the perfect break to head to Austin and melt faces at the beginning of October.
  4. Muse.  Dear Lord, please don't allow this to happen.  But somehow, these dudes are putting out another album in June, and since they traditionally play ACL every single year as the headliner for every single night, won't it happen again?  Death.
  5. Coldplay.  New album apparently coming out this summer.  Haven't played ACL in a while.  But, no tour dates on their website.  Doubt it.
  6. Less large, but other names with albums coming out that I could see being added: Passion Pit.  Blur.  Zac Brown Band.  Snoop Dogg.  Migos.  Nate Ruess (had fun. in 2013, Bleachers in 2014, so now his turn?). 
Other things that I suspect but have less proof for:
  1. Drake.  I still can see this one happening.  Not sure exactly when the new album (Views from the 6) will come out, but I can see him following up Coachella and a new album with another big festival spot.  However, he doesn't have tour dates going that far out (his current tour ends in August) so maybe not.
  2. Jack White.  See my old reasoning, mainly because he is booked to play the foreign Lolla shows and ACL needs a rocker.  However, I am working on a costume to dress up as Jack White in a week, and saw something said that he is going to back off of concerts for a while though, so maybe not.
  3. If not Jack White, then I can still see the Foo Fighters coming back to be the rock pick, after their good times in Austin for the Sonic Highways deal.  However, as previously stated, their touring schedule includes a show first weekend Sunday night in Atlanta, then two other southern shows that week, which means that they wouldn't be able to be the biggest band closing out the whole weekend.  Which seems wrong to me (but I'm sure not to Joseph).
  4. Robert Plant and the Sensational Space Shifters.  Also playing all three of the Lolla South America dates.  Huge name.  But his tour appears to end long before ACL.
  5. Dr. Dog.  Purity Ring.  Bad Religion.  Jungle.  Lotus.  Either playing Coachella, Emo's, Stubb's, or I just have a feeling.
  6. Hozier.  Playing Coachella, and needs to make up for missing the festival last year. Update: confirmed.
  7. Courtney Barnett.  Piles and piles of buzz for new album and her anointing as the greatest songwriter ever in the history of all time forever.  Playing Austin in June, though, so maybe not.
Update: the ACL Fest website links to this blog entry (translate it unless you are cool and know Spanish) which agrees with some of my thoughts (Mumford, Foos, AC/DC, MMJ, Florence), but also adds Bjork.  I literally pumped my fist and said something about creaming when I saw that she might be a possibility.  Please add Bjork.  Please!

No comments: