Friday, April 3, 2015

Sturgill Simpson - April 2, 2015 - Stubb's

If you've been reading me in the past, then you know I dig on some Sturgill Simpson.  He does classic country sounds like nobody else in the game right now.  Well, maybe Jamey Johnson is in the same league, but Sturgill's game is on point.

He took the stage around 9 and started off really slow.  Pretty chilled, relaxed straightforward country for a bit.  Then he kicked in some bluegrass-y breakdown hoedown tunes and got the crowd rockin' with him.  Speaking of rocking, his guitarist can freaking shred.  The dude (Laur Joamets) is apparently Estonian, and can jam.  Like, I bet he could throw down some metal-head thrash at any time, but he is fantastic live with this band.  Really cool.

The crowd, predictably, went crazy for The Promise, but I thought my favorite tune of the night was Long White Line.  Great, classic tune.  A trucker singing about missing a lady?  Love the line "If somebody want to know what's become of this so and so."  This video not from Stubb's, but you'll get the idea.


And speaking of the crowd, I can't recall a whiter show I've been to.  Like, ever.  So many trucker hats and hipster country-ness on the dudes, and loads of ladies in skirts and boots.  I also ran in to loads of people I know, which was different than the last few shows I've done.  Not many old camp friends or late-30's parents hanging at the Skrillex concert...  Anyway, fun show - he's a great, understated showman who took care of his business.

1 comment:

Joseph Cathey said...

God you love Estonian men.

Also...his album is really good. Dig it.