Tuesday, October 11, 2016

Quick Hits, Vol. 92 (Savages, Lake Street Dive, Loretta Lynn, Petit Biscuit)

Before I get to the albums that have been languishing in my New Music list for months while I worked through all of the ACL bands, I just have to provide you with this track from Trinidad James, Mystikal, and some (apparently hungry) white cat named Lil Dicky.
Seriously, if you aren't going to go watch Lizzo's show at ACL this coming weekend on Sunday morning, then you are a big loser and don't know.  And this Lil Dicky guy cracks me up.

Savages - Adore Life.  I have a weird hangup about screaming in music.  My friend Jordan and I just had a discussion about this while bowling the other night.  By the way, if you haven't been to the Texas Student Union bowling lanes in 25 years (like me), then going back will be a major shock to the system of weird nostalgia and stink.  A few things are different (goodbye video game machines!) but much of it is exactly the same.  So weird to walk back down those stairs again.

Anyway, our discussion started because he really likes the new Hop Along album, which I reviewed a few months back.  I liked it too, except that I thought the singer did a little too much screaming for my taste.  The underlying music and most of the singing was really good on there, but then she ratchets it up into screamy mode, and it got on my nerves.  So our conversation revealed that I have much less of an issue when dudes scream (although I'm still not cool with the Cookie Monster singing style) than I do when the ladies scream.  I am apparently a sexist scream listener.  I'm sorry. However, because I like Bjork (whose screams are usually more of ecstasy than anger) and L7, maybe I'm not too terrible?

So why did that come up here?  Because for some reason, in my mind, this album was screamy.  I had listened to these tracks at random while shuffling my new music queue over the past few months of writing about ACL bands, and in my mind, this album had a bunch of screaming.  Strangely enough, not true.  These tunes sound really good, indie alt-rock stuff, and now that I'm really listening hard for an example of screaming, I've got nothing.  I think the instruments do the screaming, but her voice stays in a really lovely register the entire time.  The tunes sound like Siouxsie and the Banshees to me as well, maybe a little Cowboy Junkies here and there.  Here is the most popular track from the album, "Adore," which has 1.5 million streams.
Freaking awesome song.  Doesn't devolve into the screaming here, just has this swaggering smolder. Listening again just gave me a rash of goosebumps all up my arms and back and neck.  "I understand the urgency of life, In the distance there is truth which cuts like a knife, Maybe I will die maybe tomorrow so I need to say, I adore life."  Love that track.  This whole album is pretty rad.

Lake Street Dive - Side Pony.  I've listened to these dudes before because they came to ACL a year or two ago.  They've got a fun sound, funky and soulful, kind of classic sound. The lead singer's voice is infectious and awesome.  While I haven't seen them live, I bet it would be a fun show, high energy and fun.  The big track from this album is "Call Off Your Dogs," with 1.6 million streams.
Feel that funk right there.  The gal on that stand up bass is making things freaking happen, man. Solidly fun album.  "Hell Yeah" and "Side Pony" are both good examples of the fun stuff.  

Loretta Lynn - Full Circle.  Classic album of country tunes by the coal miners daughter, some 50 years after her first hits.  This one is a little more straight-forward than her last album, the one produced by Jack White, but her voice is still distinctive and treated well here.  It's not her most listened to from this album, but I love "Fist City," just makes me think of a feisty little grandmother threatening anyone around her with "Fist City."  
"You better close your face and stay outta my way, if you don't wanna go to Fist City." Probably the best part of the album is the intro, when you hear here telling an old story and then, when she gets tired of telling, she just says "Oh Lord, let it rip, boys."  Love that.  I like this album well enough, but honestly I am not going to keep it around to listen to anymore after the last few listens.

Petit Biscuit - Petit Biscuit.  No clue where I found this album, especially once I listened to it. Dreamy, wordless electronic dance bleeps and bloops.  Very chilled out.  His top track, "Sunset Lover," has 28.1 million streams, so somebody is listening to the dude a lot.
Well, I guess there are maybe words, they are just chopped up and sped up and smeared around so that I don't know that they are intelligible.  Pretty enough music, but I'm not going to listen to it anymore.

No comments: