Friday, October 7, 2016

ACL 2017: Extremely, Outrageously early predictions

dudes.  I know this is ridiculous. Making guesses even before this year is done. But I have thoughts. They are based on nothing at all. This is pure conjecture. But I feel like I have solid guesses and I need to share them. Here are the top 6 headliners. [edit - if you want my more thoughtful thoughts, go check out the 2017 tab above and see the other posts I've done with some research behind them, what you see here is just what the title says, an outrageously early set of predictions]
  1. Green Day. This is my most solid guess as of right now. Perfect headliner. Huge band with a devoted old people following, plus a new album coming out soon, plus they've been on hiatus and I guarantee they want to make a huge tour next year to support the new album. 

  1. Metallica. Mainly, I just want them to come so badly that I'm adding them here. The only proof of anything I have here is that they are putting out a new album and thus will likely tour, and they played Lolla two years ago without playing ACL, which is rude and not nice. 
  2. Daft Punk. I think they are the guess every single year forever. Apparently ACL needs at least half of the bands to be EDM, so these guys would fit. I also read something the other day that said Daft Punk may be having a tour next year because they apparently launched a lame website that just says ALIVE2017. http://alive2017.com
  3. Steve Aoki. I don't know squat about this dude, except an article I just read about him in Rolling Stone and how his dad started Benihana and he is insanely popular for making EDM stuff and being generally happy. 
  4. Red Hot Chili Peppers. Just because I want to see them again. They just played Lolla without playing here, and I love them. Please come to Austin. 
  5. Paul Simon. Again, just because I love him, and he never plays ACL, but he did a taping (that was amazing) and he proved that he will play a fest by playing Jazz Fest in NO. 
Amazing headliners, right?  I'm almost certain this is 5/6 wrong, but some of the most fun is making the guesses and backing them up before the announcement happens. Other thoughts:
  1. Maybe Kings of Leon?  New album dropping soon. 
  2. Maybe Beck?  Please yes and thank you. If his new album sounds like Dreams and Wow, then it will be freaking amazing. 
  3. Ryan Adams or Jim James?  Sting?
  4. Arcade Fire are working on a new disc to be released in 2017. 
  5. Kanye?  Kind of hope not. 
  6. The Killers?  The Shins?  T.I.
  7. Ooooooh!  What about Prophets of Rage!?!?  God, that would be rad as hell. 
All for now. More to come, many more posts like this to come. 

No comments: