Wednesday, December 19, 2018

Quick Hits, Vol. 203 (Tj Dizzle SnoMan, The Struts, White Denim, 1800 Seconds)

Tj Dizzle SnoMan - Blood in the Water.  This is the moment where you know I have lost my mind, listening to something called Tj Dizzle SnoMan.  What has happened to me?  How did I get here?  Well, I found this artist because I gave a ninth grade boy control of the radio in the car the other day, and he pulled up a Soundcloud track by this guy that was apparently the theme song for some weird anime that the kid liked.  The world works in mysterious ways, baby.
"Don't want your hoe she look like Chewbacca or a Chupacabra I might gotta block her," "How your chain gold if that thing look like copper," and "I got the beef I ain't talkin' 'bout whoppers."  Some funny lines, matched with a super cool sounding beat?  That little Asian whistle/flute thing makes the beat for sure.  
BUT, this whole album (which doesn't even feature that track), is pretty mediocre.  He'll have a good run of bars in a song, but then he'll also spend time mucking around in boring repetition and Migos-style copies.  The opening track on the album uses the same beat as "Live Sheck Wes," which is weird, and makes the track less exciting because I'm wanting to hear the other one instead.  The second song just ends in the middle of a line, and he frequently falls off of the beat.  I'm guessing he blew up on the basis of "ChinaTown" and tried to shove out a quick album to capitalize on that fame.  Too bad, this one is not worth saving.

The Struts - Young & Dangerous.  Speaking of things that don't live up to the hype...  While I very much enjoyed their live show the other night, I can't say that this second album was worth the wait.  They're still leaning heavily on the Queen-comparison-nostalgia and disco-rock beats to make fun rock and roll, but some of these just feel forced.  Especially "Primadonna Like Me," which was their initial single from the album.  Not great, like they're trying to hype up a disinterested crowd and just make it worse by pushing too hard.  Nothing on here is as good as "Could Have Been Me" or "Kiss This," but "Bulletproof Baby" and "Body Talks" and "Fire - Part 1" are still pretty fun.  Here is the second version of "Body Talk," which features Kesha.
Huh.  That sure sounds like an acoustic guitar in the chorus, but the video doesn't show one anywhere in the band.  And the song ends up a little bit irritating, it gives me the bombast and largess, but ends up I don't want it now.  Bummer - I don't much like this album.

White Denim - Performance.  These guys are great, even if you really can't differentiate this album from their last great rock and roll album.  No difference that I can even discern.  Loose and fun guitar-forward rock, with some reverb-y vocals.  The title track jams out and includes a spacey organ interlude as the band keeps the squawking rock pounding forward.  Their top track on the album is the opener ("Magazin"), but I'm going to give you the second most streamed tune instead - "It Might Get Dark," with 537k streams.
A little Southern rock swagger, with barroom piano, and a good groove. I dig it.  I really liked their last album - in fact it might have made my top ten of the year list because I actually bought the disc - and this one feels just as good.

1800 Seconds: Curated by Pusha T.  Hoooorrrrrrrrible compilation album curated by King Push.  i got all excited, thinking there might be some cool new stuff on here, but I was very wrong.  The first song, "Make It Count," by something called Cartel Count Up is absolutely awful.  Just, like a guy yelling the same words over (rhyming "making it count" with "make it count") at the most annoying spot in his vocal range.  I want to die when I hear it.  Now you must also suffer.
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!  Not a good album.  In fact, a very bad album...

No comments: