Friday, December 7, 2018

Spotify Year in Review 2018

Love this report.  A few years ago, they didn't release one and I was sad.  Probably, you could give a rat's butt about my listening habits, but this is my blog, so you get to relive some stuff with me.

First, Spotify claims that the first song I listened to in 2018 was "Glasgow Kisses" by Estrons?  I don't think I've even heard this song before.  Weird.  Either I jammed it after a few bottles of champagne, or it was part of some radio mix thing?  No way this was the kids.

63,605 minutes listening to music this year.  Holy smokes.  That is 1,060 hours.  That is 44 days (and some change).  I love it.  But wait, let's think about it.  There are about 260 work days in a year.  Remove about 30 for vacation and holidays.  Subtracting an hour for lunch out of the ten-ish hours I'm here each day, that's about 2070 hours.  So they think I only listen half the time I'm at my desk?  I call BS on this number.  It's only stopped when I'm not at the desk or on the phone.  No way my true count isn't higher.  WAIT - just saw that this only counts January 1 to October 31, so that is more like 1,710.  Still seems low.

Most listened-to artist?  BROCKHAMPTON with 29 hours.  TWENTY-NINE freaking hours?!?!  Damn.  I liked them a lot, and saw them live three times, but that is a really large amount of time with just one artist.  The rest of my top five is Metallica, Unknown Mortal Orchestra, Parquet Courts, and Queens of the Stone Age.  I'd buy most of those, but Parquet Courts?  I liked them well enough, but there is no way I listened to them more than the new Pusha T or Kasey Musgraves or Chris Stapleton or Chvrches.  Weird.

My top songs list is BS, because of my kids using my account.  My daughters love this truly garbage song (which is actually pretty catchy, but still...) called "Wedgie" by something called Taylor Girlz.  So, sadly, that is my top song of the year.  "Wedgie in my bootie feelin' tight huuyaaaaah!"  Next, two Brockhampton songs ("BLEACH" and "SWEET"), then two Unknown Mortal Orchestra songs.  Those four might be true, but this sure seems like a broken system of data tracking.  Feels to me like I've listened to Greta Van Fleet or Highly Suspect a lot more than UMO.  I wonder when they cut this off?  Their FAQ says it cuts off at Halloween.  Huh.

My favorite musical subgenre is apparently Modern Rock.  Which is probably true, but I'm shocked they don't think I listen to more rap than anything else...  Although, at the end of the slideshow, it says that Indie is my top listened to genre.  So, not sure what is up with that?

The oldest song I listened to all year was a Miles Davis track from 1957.  I remember that day, during the huge rains that caused the flooding at Lake LBJ.  Weird.

Fun - wish they would give me even more data so that I could dig into it and find even more cool factoids about my listening this year.  I need to get on my end of year list!




No comments: