Friday, October 4, 2019

The Raconteurs: ACL Taping at the Moody Theater: October 3, 2019

Made the mistake of presuming here that Jack White and company might scale things back, take a victory lap, and do something a little more chilled and special for their ACL taping experience.  To the contrary, they just cranked everything to 11 and tore through a set of almost exclusively songs from their new album.

Which is too bad.  The couple that we took to the show had never seen an ACL taping before, and I told them how cool they were, that the artists want to play their best stuff and will sometimes play for the cameras and give good stories or otherwise enhance the show.  These guys said "hell" and "no" and just tore through their set and then walked off the stage.  No encore, no re-do songs, they just cranked some extra feedback and bounced.

They sound great, if you like super loud and distorted rock and roll.  Which I can dig.  For the first two songs, both from the new disc, I don't know if it was intentional or a malfunction of the equipment, but Jack and Brendan may as well have been screaming through a blender for all that I could understand of any of the lyrics.  My wife gave me the look right about then - you know this look - or at least I know it well - the "what have you done and why would you think that I want to hear this blitzkrieg on my senses?"  So that was good times.  Jack soon went over to the piano, and things sounded better from there, but they definitely kept it loud as hell.

The only tune they played from Broken Boy Soldiers was "Steady as She Goes," which was a jam for sure, but I personally would have liked more from that excellent album.  Then a handful from Consolers of the Lonely (I think, the only ones I recall are "Carolina Drama" to end the night and "Old Enough," which is a dang good tune).  But otherwise the night was dominated by the new disc.  Was very bummed that they didn't play "Level," but hopefully they'll do that one tonight for me.


No comments: