Wednesday, July 12, 2017

ACL 2017 - Lineup by Day!

Woohoo!  Time for all of the sadness and crying to begin, as the day-by-day lineup has been released and now I can figure out all of the great headliners that I'm going to miss!  Hooray for the sadness!

Let's take a look at the headliner conflicts.

  1. Friday night looks pretty good, with Jay-Z up against Martin Garrix.  Not worried about missing out on Garrix.  But before then has The XX and Ryan Adams in likely conflict, which is too bad.
  2. Aw man, now Saturday night is a bummer.  
    • Chili Pepper vs. Chance - which the Peppers win but I'd like to have tried Chance out based on the new album.
    • Ice Cube vs. Spoon!  NOOOOOO!!!  Please let the schedule work out so they aren't actually against each other and I can see both of them and then the Chilis right afterwards.  LISTEN UP C3 PEOPLE!
  3. Sunday night has The Killers vs. Gorillaz (which probably means the Killers for me, so long as I can convince them not to play THE MAN.)  And Run the Jewels vs. The Head & the Heart is too bad, but an easy call, got to go see RTJ blast the man.
Then, what is the best day, for someone who might be buying a single day pass?  Based on what I know so far from listening to over half of the field:
  • I'd say Friday looks really strong, with Jay Z, The XX, Ryan Adams, Skepta, Royal Blood, The Revivalists, Lukas Nelson, Band of Heathens, and Welles.  
  • But then Saturday has Chilis, Chance, Ice Cube, Spoon, ASAP Ferg, Live, the Black Angels, Car Seat Headrest, Joseph, Grace Vanderwaal, Benjamin Booker, Mondo Cozmo, and Parker Millsap, so it looks actually stronger.  
  • Sunday has a few good things, like Rainbow Kitten Surprise, Run the Jewels, Portugal the Man, Middle Kids, First Aid Kit, Deap Valley, and Killers/Gorillaz, but it is definitely the weaker day of the three.
I'm giving the power prize to Saturday.  AND it looks like I'll likely be doing both Saturdays, so that my kids can go see Grace Vanderwaal and LEAVE ME ALONE ABOUT HER! but that means that I can go see Spoon and Chance on the second weekend, which makes me very happy.  LET'S DO THIS THING!!!  Come on October!!!

3 comments:

Joseph Cathey said...

I'm going to CRUSH it on Saturday! I was on line 3!

When I sing though, I sound like 3 sisters who like to party.

Joseph Cathey said...

What are some Spoon songs that will make me love them? I feel like their music is solid, but I don't get the over the top love so many folks have. MAKE ME LOVE THEM JACK!!!!

The Killers are going to play "The Man" a dozen times in a row like Kanye/Jay-Z did with N*ggas in Paris. That's going to be their whole show.

Joseph Cathey said...

I'm just going to leave 100 comments on this post. Sorry in advance.

Don't you think Sunday will be the Killers as the closer by themselves? Isn't that how most Sundays go? I hope you're right that's it's the Killers vs. Gorillaz, because I want to see RTJ so bad....and Jessica is already saying she wants to see the Gorillaz.