Friday, November 8, 2019

Quick Hits, Vol. 229 (Logic, Madonna, Tyler the Creator, Megan Thee Stallion)

Interesting (although I know maybe only to me) is the breakdown of where traffic is coming to this blog.  Blogger doesn't provide a city-by-city breakdown (which is too bad because that would be interesting), but they do provide by country.  The chart below shows the hits for the seven days before Weekend One of ACL, when I had around 1,200 hits.

United States
992
France
108
Ukraine
105
Nigeria
35
Russia
16
Unknown Region
8
Portugal
6
South Korea
5
Philippines
3
Germany
2

I figured all of my hits were friends seeing my post on Facebook and clicking through the link to do their pre-Fest research on the bands to see, but then I see that more than 250 of them come from France, Ukraine, or Nigeria.  Being that I don't actually believe that 105 people are in the Ukraine, boning up on whether they should check out The Japanese House versus Still Woozy, it surely looks like these are hits caused by bots or spiders or some other non-real system crawling through links shared on Facebook.  It's kind of freaky.

I thought about trying to same sort of sharing on Instagram and Twitter, just to see if the same sort of numbers pop up again, but my follower count on those two platforms is minuscule in comparison to all of the friends on Facebook.

Yet more evidence why I should delete Facebook, and the rest of the Internet, immediately.  OR, post more personal stories about my kids as I write about whether or not the falsettos in the new Fall Out Boy sound more like Hall or Oates!  One of the two!

Logic - Confessions of a Dangerous Mind.  I don't know what it is about Logic, but I really like him.  I get the feeling that critics might find him cheesy, even though I've never gone to check out what others have said, but I think the speed of his flow and the interesting subjects that he brings up in his raps are very cool.  I know people crapped on his Eminem track on this album, but I don't hate that either.  It's not like Eminem drops a classic verse or anything, but it also isn't horrible.  To me, the beats are usually interesting and effective, either at giving a smooth vibe (the title track) or pushing you to hype ("Keanu Reeves"), and his dexterity in rap is awesome.  Sometimes the lamenting and complaining about how rude people online, or whatever else he is firing back against, can get old, but it is a million times more interesting than half of the rappers these days just saying nothing.  The Eminem track is the top streamer, but I'm going to provide the second place to you instead, "Keanu Reeves," with 128 million streams.

It's not the greatest album of all time or anything, but I enjoy the listen.  I'll say that most of the collaborations are pretty weak - G Eazy is lame, Wiz Khalifa is fine, Gucci is boring, and maybe Will Smith is the best one of them?  I just made the mistake of checking out a review of the album, where the reviewer freaking hated the entirety of it, and gave it a 1 out of 10.  Ouch.  Whatever, dude.  I enjoyed it!

Madonna - Madame X.  This is a horrible album.  Which I take no pleasure in writing, as I love classic Madonna music.  But this one is like her Latin American crossover disc, and it smells desperate and sad and is therefore a bummer.  She has a few rappers appear with her (Quavo, Swae Lee) and then some Latino folks I don't recognize (Maluma, Anitta), but the overall vibe of this one is desperation in trying to be relevant in this age of big crossover hits from Cardi B and Rosalia and Justin Beiber.  The opening track is BY FAR the most popular - where folks realized that this was a sad album and then ran away, so I won't give you that one, but here is the one with Anitta instead, "Faz Gostoso," the second most streamed at 21 million.
I promise you that the rest of the album isn't better than that.  Generic vibes and a general bummer for trying to latch onto a current moment.  I am very glad to remove it from my Q.

Tyler the Creator - IGOR.  I've really never understood the appeal of Tyler.  I feel like I have repeatedly tried his stuff on, because others act like he is the greatest thing around, and it never clicks with me.  This one has some cool things sonically, like the way album opener "IGOR'S THEME" kinda sounds like Outkast finding a synth and making something freaky, but then forgetting to actually rap over it.  But then when he goes with the rest of the album, its a little too much singing, and not enough good rapping, reminds me of the newer Childish Gambino tracks.  The top track is "Earfquake," which has a whopping 197.3 million streams!
I have no clue why people would want to hear that track 200 million times.  The rap in the middle isn't Tyler, I don't think (comments on YouTube say it is "carti," but he gets no credit in the titles on Spotify, so I dunno) and that rap is terrible.  The singing is sort of pretty I suppose, but it isn't amazing.  Weird stuff.  I don't much like the album overall.

Megan Thee Stallion - Fever.  She was one of the fun new things I found for this year's ACL, and overall I like this album.  My one beef with it is that she has a little sound that she makes A LOT during just about every song, that is kind of a "ehh" or "ahh," like she is sticking out her tongue and voicing displeasure with the taste of something she just licked.  Once or twice, that sound is great.  200 times over the course of the album?  Too much.  But, she's funny, and suuuuper raunchy, like a female Too $hort.  "Hood Rat Shit" is probably my favorite one, but I also like "Cash Shit," featuring someone named DaBaby, who I actually thought brought a good guest verse.  The one with Juicy J is pretty tight too.  This is that "Cash Shit" track with DaBaby, most popular on the album by a bunch at 55.8 million streams.
Got that braggadocio like the guy rappers, and then Baby comes in with the dirty ass rhymes.  I read something the other day saying that she just straight up missed her ACL show - an ACL spokesperson said that she didn't leave her hotel until after her scheduled time to perform.  Which is a pretty crappy thing to do to your fans who are pumped up about catching your set during the Fest.  I like this music, but it sounds like she needs to get her stuff together.

No comments: