Monday, March 16, 2020

Quick Hits, Vol. 255 (Roddy Ricch, Kesha, Francis Quinlan, Marcus King)

Roddy Ricch - Please Excuse Me For Being Antisocial.  2019.  Quite an album title for yet another generic trap rap album of tracks slathered (of course) in auto tune with the usual lyrics.  "I eat that pussy like a steak, she eat my dick like a crepe?"  This is some sort of tender, thoughtful rap?  I mean, I cherry picked that particular line, but it just popped out at me as I was writing.  That's just gross.  And it shows that this ain't some sort of introspective stuff.  Sounds like Future because of all the autotune and singing over trap beats.  And I don't much care about Future.  The Meek Mill one "Peta," with a little flute loop on top, really sounds like he is biting Future.  The top song - and a huge current hit right now - is "The Box."  438.7 million streams.
It's catchy for sure - that beat, with that little squeaky rocking chair noise - is a good one.  And his flow works well over it, even if you need urban dictionary to understand half of the shit he is saying.  Speaking of which, apparently telling someone to wipe their nose means you are putting out a hit on them, and saying the word "slatt" means "slime love all the time," which makes me feel like I have actually gotten dumber by trying to understand this song.  I don't much care for the album as a whole - I can dig why this song is blowing up right now, but I'm good.


Kesha - High Road.  2020.  Was fully prepared to dislike this one and move on from it quickly, but instead, I kinda like it.  Well, I like the upbeat dance tracks, some of the maudlin slow ones I could do without.  The album opener, "Tonight," has a little bit of both, but the party portion of it is highly fun - reminiscent of some of her best old songs.  "My Own Dance" makes me think of Panic at the Disco.  "Honey" almost bites the guitar lick from Weezer's "Say it Ain't So."  "Birthday Suit" bites the Super Mario Brothers' theme song.  The other fun thing, that runs throughout the album, is the feeling that she has a room full of fabulously fun people with her in the studio, who are singing along, yelling asides, dancing, prank calling her mom, and occasionally making music.  Absolutely adds to the attitude of the album.  One song features Sturgill and Brian Wilson, but they're fully in harmonizing mode, they don't really get a showcase verse.  The collaboration with Big Freedia is the hit for sure, with over 20 million streams.  This is "Raising Hell."
That video sure took a turn.  But its a fun song, filtering in elements of gospel and bounce while she's singing about raising hell.  I also like the storytime of "BFF" with her and Wrabel exchanging memories about some fun times together.  I don't like the Lumineers-lite of "Chasing Thunder."  I'm conflicted with my feelings for this album, but you know what?  If I am entertained, then just be entertained and be OK with the fact that this album is a weird mix of random party anthems and sad tracks.

Frances Quinlan - Likewise.  2020.  I really like her name.  Sounds like a New Orleans detective in a pulpy book.  She is the lead singer for Hop Along, who I've generally enjoyed in the past, and this is her solo debut.  Generally good - although it has some high and low points.  The screaming end to "Went to LA" is something I can do without.  The Indigo Girls-esque "Lean" is lovely.  The kind of whimsical rock of "Your Reply" makes me think of Courtney Barnett.  She has a distinct voice.  The top track, with almost half a million streams, is "Rare Thing."
Tasty little groove.  Starts off sounding like something I've heard before from the 80's.  Weird video - I would have been so annoyed at needing to take all of those outfits on and off so many times.  NO THANK YOU SIR!  I'll actually keep this one.

Marcus King - El Dorado.  2020.  I saw this dude open for The Record Company a year or two ago at Antone's, and I swear to God I had a full on reaction.  Like, ribbing my wife and pointing with my eyes wide open and my mouth agape.  Dude can abso-freaking-lutely shred the guitar.  He sounds kind of like Brittany Howard, and at times during this album I'm reminded of the blind dude from the movie Road House.  But if you dig that Allman Brothers type of southern fried rock, then this is your jam.  "The Well" is the track, with 1.2 million streams.
If you ever watched Justified (amazing show, BTW), then this also sounds like something that would have felt right at home on there.  Homie lost some weight too - I have a picture with him from that night when I saw him play, and he's definitely larger than he appears in that video.  This album is solid - I can dig it.

No comments: