Thursday, March 19, 2020

Quick Hits, Vol. 256 (Soccer Mommy, Beach Bunny, Jason Isbell, Beach Slang)

Soccer Mommy - color theory.  2020.  This is probably my album of the year so far.  Freaking beautiful, with a good mix between poingant, moody feelings tracks, more traditional semi-rock things with catchy aspects, and then those that mix all of that together.  "lucy" is the immediate standout that I keep singing to myself as I go about my day, but also "circle the drain" and "yellow is the color of her eyes" are really good.  Right now, I'm digging on "stain" - that down chord right when the chorus comes along just draws my brain right in immediately.  These songs make me feel like I need to go apologize to someone I love and ask them to take me back.  "circle the drain" is the stream winner right now with 2.1 million.
So freaking catchy.  But also has some much longing and sadness under that pretty, sunny track.  "Hey I've been falling apart these days, split open, watching my heart for round and round."  And "things feel that low sometimes, even when everything is fine."  Also, I want to immediately go ride on skateboards at an abandoned water park (and also, immediately snap my neck, which is the only ending I would experience from what those guys are doing).  Nothing this year, or hell, in a while, has immediately put me in a mood like this album has done - its not necessarily a happy mood, but it is definitely, deeply affecting me each time I go back to the start.  So good.

Seriously just came on again, and something about the album just feels like it is "mine."  Like she is singing those songs for me and me alone.  Love it.

Beach Bunny - Honeymoon.  2020  Another album I love!  Hooray for 2020!  [checks the news and sees that we have been through an impeachment, a deeply shitty Presidential primary season, and now a viral pandemic]  Shit.  Whatever!  Gimme the music!  Those of you who read me regularly know that I have had an overly large love for the band The Beths, well this one flies in the same V formation of geese trying to bring me poppy, fun rock and roll with an earnest female lead singer powering the action.  This is a very upbeat album, very jangly and head-bobby stuff.  So fun!  "Dream Boy," with 2.1 million streams, is the streaming champion so far.
They just seem so pure - something about them seems innocent and happy and genuinely pleased to just be making nice rock music.  Their old EP (Prom Queen) is also very enjoyable.  When the chorus of "Cuffing Season" kicks in, I want to spin in a circle through a crowd while pogoing onto everyone's feet.  When "Rearview" kicks in after a few minutes, it makes me want to learn guitar so that my hands can bleed from powering through mega chords.  "Ms. California" makes me want to meet her.  She seems nice.  ;)  The only bummer of the album is that its only 25 minutes - I need mas!  Keeper!

Jason Isbell - Southeastern.  2013.  And another one!  Although this one is from 2013, so it isn't keeping the 2020 streak alive.  But Rolling Stone included this album in their top albums of the decade, and it didn't ring any bells to me, so I thought I'd try it.  This guy is one of the best songwriters in the game right now.  "Elephant" is an absolutely brutally, gutting song.  I love it, but oooof.  A tune about ignoring the elephant in the room while the lady in the story is dying of cancer.  For some reason, one nugget gets me more than the rest - "She said, "Andy, you're taking me home",
But I knew she planned to sleep alone, I'd carry her to bed and sweep up the hair from the floor."  Fuuuuuck me, man.  "Travelling Alone" is a beauty as well.  "Super 8" is just plain funny.  BUt the top track is the opener, "Cover Me Up," with 32.4 million streams.
A live version, on Austin City Limits, but you'll get the gist.  Just a really nice love song.   I'm glad I found this album - maybe I need to just go back into the whole catalog and dig through everything he's ever done.

Beach Slang - The Deadbeat Bang of Heartbreak City.  FOUR FOR FOUR!  MY GOD, FOLKS, HE'S DONE IT!  Another great album that I like very much.  If you ever liked the Replacements or Paul Westerberg, then this album will tickle your jimmies.  Seriously, they sound so much like both, and I'm very here for it.  Also, "Bam Rang Rang" sounds more like the Queens of the Stone Age, and its like these guys are trying to create something that will lodge in the pleasure centers of my brain.  I thought for sure that the opening track would be the top song - "Kids in L.A.," or maybe "Tommy in the 80's," since that is the song that Rolling Stone said was good, but the QOTSA-esque track actually beats both of those out.  Despite that, I'm going to give you Tommy - 90k streams.
Replace one of the Westerberg songs on the Singles soundtrack with this one, and I'm not sure most people notice the change.  Just good, burning rock and roll riffage with a raw set of vocals making it seem even more urgent and necessary with each song.  Lemme have it!

No comments: