Wednesday, September 16, 2020

Quick Hits, Vol. 257 (Fuzz, Bassnectar, The Beths, Khruangbin)

Fuzz - Fuzz.  This isn't even a new album, but someone on Twitter was making fun of a promotional picture of the players in the band, saying that it looked like Nickelback, Puddle of Mudd, and Chris Gaines (Garth Brooks' weird alter-ego) had made a supergroup.  

Which was hilarious and perfect.  But, I dig Ty Segall, so I thought I'd check out the album, and it absolutely freaking slays.  This disc is from 2013 - but its packed full of the fuzziest, grimiest, hard-rocking power chord deliciousness that I need in my life.  From the kick in of "Earthen Gate," you can tell that this is a train barreling down the tracks of psych rock mountain.  "Sleigh Ride" has some classic rock feel - Cream if they'd been fronted by a sneering ogre instead of Jack Bruce and they were willing to go a little harder than they'd ever gone before.  The top track is one that will evoke a classic Pixie's track with the title, but come on like late 60's garage psych, with 7.4 million streams, this is "What's In My Head."

Again, this is not a modern take on psych rock - this absolutely sounds like it could have come out in between Jefferson Airplane's debut and Axis:Bold as Love.  The drum break down, before the guitar freakout, in "Loose Sutures" is also scuzzy perfection.  The album finale also comes on like a deranged lunatic in a Guitar Center.  This disc keeps popping back up, right after I finish another lovely trip through Khruangbin, and its a fantastic kick of adrenaline every time.  Stick it in my veins.

Bassnectar - All Colors.  I'm not much of an EDM guy, but I've always had an affinity for Bassnectar because of the time I saw him at ACL.  This is the type of EDM that pounds you into submission - massive bass and those kinds of build-up-to-drop moments that probably launch all the kids at his shows into orbit.  The opening track is actually different though, very spectral, futuristic, space-humping music.  And then he slams you in the face with the bass in the "Open Your Mind" next track.  "All Colors" is good, but my favorite is one that is more of a rap than an EDM track - "Rewind the Track" which features something called Ashel Seasunz and some Dr. Dre-esque high pitched sounds in the background at times.  I would freaking love to jam out to that one in a crowd of 80,000 sweaty teenagers.  But, that track is only the second most streamed.  The winner is one called "Nice & Easy," which features something called Rodney P.  Just over 2 million streams.

I've always been a sucker for big brass horns in a rap song, but this one only really gets rolling when they remove the horns and start banging away with the grimy, smeary synths pounding on you.  Several of the tracks on here get my head bobbing as they come along during the day.  Solid stuff if you are into this type of music.

The Beths - Jump Rope Gazers.  I'm going deep into the ones you've never heard of right here, but if you haven't heard of or listened to The Beths, then I'm here to tell you that you are absolutely missing out.  Their last album was a top album of the year contender for me, and I keep spinning it to get myself through the days.  This one isn't as immediately top shelf for me, it doesn't jam out quite as hard, but I still love it.  These guys just bring an infectious joy to an otherwise relatively basic guitar-rock alternative sound.  I think the problem with the album, versus their first one, is that it takes the rocking down a notch.  "Out of Sight" tries to ramp it back up, but can't quite decide if it is a quiet burner or a soaring sing-along.  "Don't Go Away" has a little bit of a Weezer tone to it that I like.  The album opener jams.  "Mars, the God of War" does some good work, and alos allows you to shout about hitting backspace on "why don't you just go to hell," which is legit.   "Dying to Believe" is the instant top track for me - with the frenetic guitar work, pounding drums, and the harmonic background signers making it sound like we're on a roller coaster.  It's also the top streamer at 677k.

That's the shit right there.  Silly, rockin', a little confessional - I dig it all.  Makes me REALLY wish I could see them at the BMI stage in a month for Austin City Limits.  Dammit all to hell.  I got to see them play a show at the Container Bar for SXSW a year and a half ago, and had tickets to see them play The Parish this spring, but now everything is horrible and I'll just have to keep jamming the songs in my guest room without seeing them live again.  Good stuff, will keep.

Khruangbin - Mordechai.  This band came to ACL a few years ago, which is how I found out about them in the first place.  They did a collaboration with Leon Bridges called "Texas Sun" that my kids all thought was their mother's favorite song of all time because of how many times we played it after it came out.  Very fun, cool, funky, eclectic tracks - some instrumental and some with words - that could frequently act as a very good rap background if someone cool was so inclined.  "Father Bird, Mother Bird" has the sound of one of those cool BadBadNotGood tracks that Ghostface Killah used to rap over on that Sour Soul disc.  Love this track - smooth as silk and fully laid back.  The top track is a great one - "Time (You and I)" with 10.6 million streams (impressive!).

Got that tight wacka wacka action from the guitar, some funky bass machinations, and overall a damn good groove.  I just put it in a playlist for my sister the other day - I think it matches her very well.  Also, that video is amazing.  Keeping this disc around for sure - I need more groovy funk in my life.

No comments: