Thursday, December 17, 2020

2020 Albums of the Year (me)

I know that this sentiment has been ground into our eyeballs for so long that it no longer even really registers in a meaningful way, but what a year.  Like, what in the world has happened to the world around us?  Over a million and a half people have died for this dumb virus.  We own like 50 masks now, in addition to boxes of disposable ones.  I haven't been to my office to work since March 12.  Insane people protesting things that they don't even understand, a President hell-bent on destroying the democratic process and repeatedly dying on the most idiotic hills anyone could choose.  Learning that you don't know people like you thought you did once the chips are on the table and you can see what they really care about.  Missing hugs and holidays and restaurants and bars and record stores and the necessary moments of relaxation in the company of someone other than your immediate family.  It's all too damn much.  And in any different year, the solution for me to all of that confusion and anxiety would be to dive into music - go see every show in town, write about 125 artists coming to ACL, go browse the stacks at Waterloo Records and burn some money despite having everything available on Spotify.  But almost all live shows have dried up entirely (and the ones that are happening are weird and spaced out and like $300 a ticket).  A lot of albums shelved, most movies delayed.  Its all so damn horrible.

But, there are a few bright spots in the musical landscape, and I figured I'd celebrate a few of those here, to bring back at least some small sliver of normalcy to the year.  Once I'm done with this exercise, I'll go read other people's top albums lists and comment on those as well, but I try to avoid looking at those before I come to my own conclusions to avoid contamination.  A mask for my music brain.

The top album of the year feels so damn obvious, so effortlessly lying right there in front of me.  Feels like someone who had really listened to it this year, and actually likes/appreciates hip hop, would be unable to stick it at the top of their list.  If you've read this blog at all this year, then you know I'm talking about the new Meghan Trainor!  SO GREAT!  Just kidding.  You know I'm obviously talking about 

1.  Run The Jewels 4.  No other album this year managed to nail the perfect balance between very serious subjects and fun ass music.  I wrote an entire blog post about the album already, so I won't dig terribly deeply into that here, but you can go peep everything I said about it here.  Mike's verse in that song I posted up above is freaking hard as nails, though.

Now is when it gets more interesting, as I'd say I have a handful that are all vying for the second spot.  I'm going to order the remaining albums, but I want you, dear reader, to know that all six of the next albums are perfectly capable of being number 2 in my mind.

2. Kurt Vile - Speed, Sound, Lonely KV.  Just an EP, and covers, but in a year of massive loss for fringe/outlaw country fans, something about this lovely little tribute to the late John Prine struck a deep chord in me.  Vile sounds great anyway, but the simple perfection of "Speed of the Sound of Loneliness" and "How Lucky" just strike me each time I hear them.  Freaking awesome.  Review.

3. Soccer Mommy - color theory.  Hot damn, I just re-started this one as I worked my way through this list and it just makes me want to erupt in a volcano of pure emotional catharsis.  The chugging guitars appeal to my base caveman, but then the lyrics give it a depth that just can't be matched by the usual guitar-heavy track.  Review.  (actually note that whole set of reviews - I loved all four of those albums!)

4. Tame Impala - Slow Rush.  Of course, if I listen to one album more than any other (per Spotify's Wrapped), then it must have been a favorite.  There is something so hypnotically perfect about this mix of ambient synth dance music and rock and roll that draws me back in over and over.  I could listen to "Breathe Deeper" until the asteroid finally hits the earth and we are free from this mortal coil.  Review.

5. Chris Stapleton - Starting Over.  Sign me up any and every time this guy puts out an album.  Another great one.  If you need to cry, and you like dogs, just hop on over there to "Maggie's Song" real quick!  But even after that, stay for the guitar fireworks and his soulful voice.  Such an awesome artist.  Review.

6. Bruce Springsteen - Letters to You.  This one hit me at a vulnerable moment and made me cry, but I still stand by it as a very enjoyable album that taps into Bruce's classic sound.  I'm sure this looks like some OK Boomer pick, but I can't wait to sing "Ghosts" at the top of my lungs at a concert someday.  Review.

7. HAIM - Women In Music, Pt. III.  Home to my most streamed song of the year, per Spotify - "Summer Girl," which owes a massive debt to "Walk on the Wild Side" and yet still sounds badass on it's own.  Such a great tune.  And the whole album is very good - not just a one song wonder.  Review.

8. Sturgill Simpson - Cuttin' Grass, Vol. 1.  Spot on bluegrass covers of some of his great older songs.  Loved the fun surprise of hearing old songs converted into a new style, but also loved hearing Sturgill turn a quick about-face from that last album of groovy rock and diving straight into classic bluegrass.  Review.

9. Taylor Swift - folklore.  Lovely surprise.  I've tried out the newer surprise album a few times, but I think this one is connecting better with me so far.  I've been trying to go back and listen to the stuff I've saved from the year, and this one just has a beauty and realness to it that I appreciate so much.  Review.  The part when Bon Iver sings "step right up" on "exile" is going to power me through the winter.

10. Pearl Jam - Gigaton.  Such a homer pick, but when looking at this one versus the last few that I've listed below, I think this one wins out despite it being another one that reflects my age more than it should.  Gimme that classic alt rock goodness!  Review.

The also rans, which maybe could have taken over the tenth spot if Pearl Jam didn't have such a rooted, deep hold in my brain, are: Jason Isbell's Reunions, Freddie Gibbs' Fettucine, My Morning Jacket's Waterfalls II, Car Seat Headrest's Making a Door Less Open, Waxahatchee's St. Cloud, The Beth's Jump Rope Gazers, Khruangbin's Mordechai (try to spell either of those without looking!), Beach Bunny's Honeymoon, and beabadoobee's Fake It Flowers.  

I'm sure the critics will have the Fiona Apple album and the Phoebe Bridgers album and the Dylan album and all sorts of other things that I know I was supposed to like this year, but I'M LOCKED IN MY HOME LIKE A WEIRD RECLUSE AND YOUR SHITTY PITCHFORK REVIEWS CAN'T HURT ME ANYMORE!!!!


Anyway - I love you.  Thank you for reading my meandering thoughts about music and life and their intersection.  Someday we'll all be together again, spitting all over each other as we scream Run the Jewels lyrics to the sky, but for now, I' grateful to have this outlet for my brain and grateful to you for checking it out.  Smooches.  

No comments: