Monday, June 7, 2021

070 Shake

One Liner: Depressing auto-tuned R&B lady.

Wikipedia Genre: Alternative hip hop, ambient pop
Home:  New Jersey (THE 070, BABY!)

Poster Position: 12

Sunday of Weekend One at 4:15 on the Tito's Stage.
Saturday of Weekend Two at 4:15 on the Tito's Stage.


Thoughts:  Not sure what I was hoping for here, but depressing-sounding auto-tuned electro-R&B was not what I wanted.  Kind of reminds me of what little I know of The Weeknd.  Or the 808's and Heartbreaks album from Kanye with waaay too much auto-tune and emotional oversharing.

"Honey" is the top track, with 41.4 million streams.

That track is freaking crazy long - 6:38 of her just begging and pleading and singing in a register that really makes me want to stop listening as soon as possible.  It's like a techno song where, instead of finding a generic European girl to sing over it, they found a deeply unhappy person with a middling voice to strain herself over it instead.  Wikipedia claims that Vibe said that this song "[sounded] tailor made to rock on dance floors everywhere."  I mean, it has a beat and all, but it'd be a depressing ass dance party.

"The Pines" is like a freaky reinterpretation of the cover that Nirvana did on their Unplugged show.  I like the beat of "Morrow," even if I don't much like when she sings over that beat.  Has an urgency to it that I like.  "Guilty Conscience" is the top song from her one album, 2020's Modus Vivendi.  27.7 million streams.

Super jenky beat - like the Casio 2000's basic beat in the background.  Entirely unmemorable.  Also, I had forgotten about the Eminem song by the same name.  I also don't understand why she has the guilty conscience, when its the other girl who was the cheating ass cheater.

Her real name is Danielle Balbuena, and she first came to notoriety by performing on that trio of albums that Kanye West produced from his Wyoming mountain lair.  Kanye's Ye, Pusha's Daytona, and Nas' Nasir.  Wikipedia calls her a hip hop artist, but she sure sings a lot more than she raps.  The name comes, in part, from the area code for part of New Jersey - 070.  There are apparently multiple artists who use the 070 thing in their name to denote their crew.  Like a lamer version of the A$AP mob.

I literally just worked in silence for a good thirty minutes, mainly because I didn't want to hear this anymore but I was too lazy to look up the next artist to listen to.  I will most definitely not go watch this sad sack stuff in person.


[AAAAHHH.  One of the perils of this job is that now Spotify remembers what I have recently listened to.  So the other day when I tried to listen to my Daily Drive, it tried to play me like 3 of these songs.  Dammit!]

No comments: