Tuesday, December 15, 2015

Adele on NBC

Last night, NBC aired a special hour-long concert of Adele from Radio City Music Hall.  I didn't have it on my radar, but a friend texted to see if I was watching and it was amazing.  I mean, if you didn't watch this thing, you missed out. Her voice is just out of this world.  I'm really excited now about trying to get tickets on Thursday for her Austin shows next November.  Check it out.


It was short, only eight songs, because NBC needed to fit eighty-five billion commercials in that same hour.  Seriously, just about every single song was followed with an eight minute commercial break.  It was brutal.  My two favorites of the night were "Skyfall" and "Someone Like You."  Most of the songs throughout the night were just simple backing music, usually just the piano and nothing else.  But "Skyfall" had a big bunch of horns and strings and backup choirs jamming out with her.  Great song and cool performance.

But then "Someone like You" was a revelation.  I was somewhat distracted when she kept part of the chorus down an octave. Check out 24:06-ish in that video and you'll hear it.  The third line should be up higher than that.  When she had the crowd sing it, they went up to the right spot.  Wonder if her throat can't get up there now?  I thought she said she could go higher and lower than before after the surgery?  Anyway, I don't think I'd ever really paid attention to that song before, but my God it is beautiful.  And devastatingly sad.

"Never mind, I'll find someone like you, I wish nothing but the best for you two, Don't forget me, I beg, I remember you said, Sometimes it lasts in love, but sometimes it hurts instead." I'd never really heard those lyrics until last night, and damn.  I really hope I can score tickets on Thursday so I can see her in person.

1 comment:

Joseph Cathey said...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kn-JD8uQMLQ