Friday, December 18, 2015

Best Albums of 2015: New York Times

While I definitely enjoy doing my own top ten list, it is also satisfying and fun to go through other critics' lists so that I can find new music and make fun of other people's taste. Because my list is perfect and cannot be faded, obviously all others don't know what they are talking about!

First up, the New York Times' Jon Pareles!

1. Kendrick Lamar “To Pimp a Butterfly”  I agree, this is a great album, but I couldn't make it the top one of the year.  Pareles has a spot-on line in his review "Ideas and atmosphere govern the tracks, not immediate catchiness."  That is exactly right.

2. Joanna Newsom “Divers”  I can't hear the whole disc, as it is not available on Spotify to jam.  So it is totally and completely unavailable to any reasonable human.  But I listened to two songs on YouTube, "Sapokanikan" and "Divers."  This is not my favorite music of the year.  "Sapokanikan" has a disjointed musical sound with a whimsical twee voice over the top, like an American Bjork who took singing lessons from Kate Bush.  The amount of eye contact she gives me in the video makes me uncomfortable.  If you try to go listen to her album on YouTube, use caution, as the link to hear her whole album included an ULTIMATE MARTIAL ARTS FAILS video in the third song slot.  Which was super extreme after hearing "Divers." "Divers" is a super pretty, harp-driven hymn.
Again, so much eye contact.  I'm very nervous over here during that video.  But I can't even try to fade that song, its gorgeous.  Not the type of music I'd gravitate to, but I can recognize it as truly lovely.

3. Grimes “Art Angels”  This is a Canadian gal named Claire Boucher who makes this music with the made-in-her-basement-with-pro-tools technique.  Her earlier music (which I also don't know) was apparently darker and less accessible, but this music is mostly of the shiny pop variety, songs like "Easily" (bubbly and ready for the dance floor), "Artangels" (super sunny sounding), and "Kill V. Maim" (sounds like an old Gwen Stefani song from Love Angel Music Baby).  But then I turned on the lyrics for my second run through the album, and peppy little ditties like "California" are actually kind of dark and sad.
"And when the ocean rises up above the ground, Baby, I'll drown in California, You only like me when you think I'm looking sad. California, I didn't think you'd end up treating me so bad."  Meanwhile the vocals sound kind of like the Sundays and the music is this hand-clapping sunshine.  Hard juxtaposition.  And here is "Flesh Without Blood/Life in the Vivid Dream."
Which starts with the sound and look of a bubblegum pop dream, and then turns into sketchy murder-death-kill central in the video.  To keep the weird duality going, during the bubblegum section, she's singing about how she doesn't care anymore and she does doesn't like you.  On "SCREAM," don't bother trying to understand the lyrics, as they are apparently all in Chinese.  I'm just not worldly and cool enough to get this.  I guess I enjoy the pop tunefulness of most of the songs, but they also grate my nerves after a while.

4. Sleater-Kinney “No Cities to Love”  Not my thing, as noted back when I reviewed that album.

5. Björk “Vulnicura”  I love Bjork, but this isn't the album to rank in a top ten list. Extremely pretty, but as discussed in my review, can't hold a candle to the originality and fun of her old music.

6. Adele “25”  I went out and joined the millions who bought this CD on its release date. Felt very happy with myself, stalking through Waterloo for some new and hip music.  After a handful of listens, doesn't feel as strong as 21, but is still carried by her all-time voice. "Hello" is an unstoppable ear-worm, and "Send My Love" is a fun jam.  
I tried to find a YouTube link to "Send My Love," but all that is available is about a million cover versions.  Oh, and by the way, 724 MILLION FREAKING VIEWS OF THAT VIDEO FOR HELLO!!!  Holy freaking schnikeys!!  You think Adele might be big right now?  I may end up wishing I had ranked this album myself, but after only a handful of listens, it doesn't rise up to top ten status.  

7. Alabama Shakes “Sound & Color”  Agreed.  My number one album of the year.

8. Sufjan Stevens “Carrie and Lowell”  I actually really liked this album when I checked it out earlier this year.  Crazy pretty, worth a listen.  

9. Mbongwana Star “From Kinshasa”  Here we go, with this old tried and true move: rank something strange and inscrutable near the bottom of your list so that you prove your street cred, without having to make people think you are crazy pants for ranking it above the other albums.  This band is apparently some dudes from the Congo, and the two main guys are quadriplegics who rock cool three wheeler wheelchairs.  Wikipedia says that this album had universal acclaim.  
I have to say, its actually pretty damn fun and funky and entertaining, even if I have no clue what is going on.  Or what anyone is saying.  It wore me out by the end, but the first few tracks are pretty snappy.

10. Miguel “Wildheart”  Huh.  I always thought Miguel was more of an R. Kelly/D'Angelo kind of slinky bedroom love-making slow jam kinda guy.  This album has way more rock style than I expected, with a dose of rap.  I don't know what to think of this at all.  "Coffee" might be my favorite thing on here (well, the explicit version, where about half of the usages of the word "coffee" are replaced with the word "f***ing"), but the big hit is "Simple Things," which is only on the deluxe version of the album.
Not doing much for me on these tracks.  I'll let old Jon Pareles enjoy this one on his own.

1 comment:

Joseph Cathey said...

"Here we go, with this old tried and true move: rank something strange and inscrutable near the bottom of your list so that you prove your street cred, without having to make people think you are crazy pants for ranking it above the other albums."

That was awesome...and so so true. Nailed it Jack-o!