Monday, December 14, 2015

Spotify Year in Music 2015


I always love the end-of-year retrospective that Spotify gives out every December.  And this sounds generally right, except I know for a fact that something is wrong with the system, because I listened to hours of Metallica in the middle of this year leading up to that concert, and they aren't mentioned at all.  Even if not the most listened to overall, they should have at least dominated the Spring or Summer time.

Interesting facts:
  • Top five artists of the year: Decemberists, R.E.M., Drake, Foo Fighters, Tame Impala
  • Top Albums of the year: Decemberists' What a Beautiful World, What a Terrible World, A$AP Rocky's At.Long.Last.A$AP, Kendrick Lamar's To Pimp a Butterfly, Alabama Shakes' Sound and Color, and Modest Mouse's Strangers to Ourselves.
    • That last one is surprising, I would never have guessed I listened to that album more than 4 or 5 times.
  • Top Tracks: Royal Blood's Out of the Black, Leon Bridges' Coming Home, Maccabbee's X-Ray, Walk the Moon's Shut Up and Dance, and In the Whale's Girlfriend.  You think I listened to my ACL Friday playlist a few times?  :)
  • Top Genres (which is heavily influenced by ACL): Indie Folk, Indie Rock, Hip Hop, Chamber Pop, Rock.  WTF is Chamber Pop?
  • Biggest surprise to me was that Unknown Mortal Orchestra took the prize for my most listened-to thing throughout the summer.  I think it should have been Metallica if this was tracking correctly, but 132 listens for UMO is impressive.
I wish they would give you even more data.  It would be really fun to dive deep into it all.  Anyone else out there have something interesting to report?

1 comment:

Joseph Cathey said...

Solid stuff...and fits in with what I guessed you listened to.

My top five artists: Modest Mouse, First Aid Kit, Jack White, White Stripes,U2. I listened to a lot of MM before ACL, White before his concert, FAK before their concert (not as much after) and U2 because I love them.

Top albums: First Aid Kit's Stay Gold, Jack White's Lazaretto, Modest Mouse's Strangers to Ourselves, Houndmouth's Little Neon Limelight, Sturgill Simpson's Metamodern....

Top Tracks: Jack White's Lazaretto, Mark Ronson's Feel Right (This makes me happy), Modest Mouse's Float On, Modest Mouse's The World At Large, Jack White's Temporary Ground (I think because it was the first song on the album. it's not great.)

Top Genres: Indie Folk, Indie Rock, New Americana, Hip Hop, Chamber Pop (Yeah, WTF IS CHamber Pop???)