Monday, April 3, 2017

Predicting ACL 2017: Big Bands Playing Between Weekends

I had another thought this afternoon as I was working my way through the Lollapalooza prediction post, to look at any big bands that are playing shows in the general area of Austin during the week in between ACL.  As you may or may not remember, Radiohead did that last year with some Mexico City shows in between the two weekends of ACL.


I ran my first search to check on Mexico City, and lo and behold, but who should have Mexico City shows on October 10 and October 11?  The Red Hot Chili Peppers.  I've already named them as one of the bands I think could be here, but this would be so freaking fun!  They could easily do it.  They play Brazil on 9/21-9/24, then have an ACL sized gap until Mexico for these two shows, then run back up to Texas for the second weekend, and then be in Denver for their show on 10/16.  Perfect.  I hope I'm right about this one.

Oh, and also Interpol has two shows happening the week after ACL.  So it doesn't quite fit into the model here of bands that play during the week-long gap in between ACL weekend, but this schedule makes some sense that they'll be playing a bunch of European dates, then come over and jam ACL then go mope around Mexico City for two dates.  They last played ACL in 2014, so a three year gap seems pretty normal.  I'm going to say yes on this one too.

How about Dallas?  Oooh!  Counting Crows and Matchbox 20 are playing up there on October 1! But no, I doubt they'd come down to Austin.  My Life With the Thrill Kill Kult is playing on October 11, but I see nothing from their touring schedule that would otherwise lead me to think they'll be in Austin for the Fest.

Houston had nothing that looked interesting.  San Antonio has some overlap with Dallas and Houston, but they are things we won't get at ACL like Tim McGraw and the Scorpions.    New Orleans has nothing of note.  Austin is the same (for now, which may show how not NOT useful this particular search engine is).

Los Angeles has Chance the Rapper just before ACL, which I said before makes me think he won't come to Austin, but who knows.  Maybe this means he's ready and willing to bop over here and jam?  Oooh, Coldplay is in L.A. on 10/6, which is opening night for ACL weekend one, so likely not getting them (unless they'd hurry over to Austin for the Sunday night closing spot?).  Sturgill Simpson is also in L.A. that same night.  Depeche Mode is playing on 10/12, which would allow them to run back and forth for both weekends of ACL, oh no, wait, they are also playing the Hollywood Bowl on 10/14 and 10/16, so they'd miss second weekend.  Not happening.

So I don't think I've established anything exciting for this one other than the Chilis and Interpol.  Which are actually pretty damn exciting.

No comments: