Wednesday, January 24, 2018

2018 Jazz Fest Announced!

I dream of Jazz Fest.  Never tried it out (although a group of friends went a few years ago and had a big time) but they consistently get great artists at the top of their poster.  AND my friends said that the music is usually done early, like 8pm, so you have time to go out on the town and eat and drink and find other music, so it is even more than just a festival trip.  The poster looks amazing, but know that those artists are spread out over MANY days, so the daily ticket itself is never that amazing.


Ooooooh-wheeeee!  Loogit that top line!  Hell, look at that second line - when Sturgill Simpson only rates as the 12th best guy on your poster, then holy shit.  Hell, Lyle Lovett only rates the 4th line!  But for real, seeing Aerosmith, Aretha, Sting, Buffett, Jack White, and Beck would just about put me in a nursing home.  The difference though, if you go look at the daily lineups, is that you only get a sliver of those bands per day.  For example, if you go on Saturday for the second weekend, you only get Aerosmith of the names I just mentioned up there.  I mean, you'd also get Cage the Elephant and the Revivalists and Better than Ezra, but these daily lineups devolve into super insider gumbo real quick.

Weekend One would get you Sting, Sturgill, Aretha, and Buffett.  That is still pretty rad.  And then you could fill up the rest of your days with all sort of other interesting things.  Second weekend would net you Beck, Aerosmith, and Jack White (in addition to other cool stuff like Cage the Elephant, Steve Miller Band, Jason Isbell, Rebirth Brass Band, Revivalists).  Hard ass choice on which of those two weekends would be more exciting.  But how freaking amazing would it be to just live in N.O. and get to go to all seven nights?  The wife would probably divorce me.

This also makes me laugh, because literally six days ago, I confidently wrote that:

  • Aerosmith had no tour and no reason to show up on the festival circuit.  WRONG!
  • Jimmy Buffett "can sell out the biggest stadiums in the world in a heart beat with crazy parrot weirdos, so I doubt he'd need to or want to mess with a festival."  WRONG!
Shows you what I knows.  If I weren't already going on a vacation during this time period, I would seriously consider making the pilgrimage to this Fest.

No comments: