Tuesday, January 9, 2018

Bonnaroo 2018 Lineup Announced!

Huh.  I'm apparently going to need to adjust my expectations for this year's Festival crop.  Because here is another underwhelming offering from one of the Big Four.  I know we won't get these same headliners, but this top three is weak.  I appreciate them keeping the font size for the three headliners almost the same as the next two lines, as though to acknowledge that there is little difference between them.  Without further bitching, here you go!


Big Three Headliners:

  • Looks like Eminem is this year's constant presence, with him at the top of three of the four posters I have reviewed so far.  Again, I'd be bummed out if he took one of the headlining spots for ACL Fest, but I guess I'd give him another shot to see if he could make his new songs sound un-trash and whether he might actually rap this time.
  • The Killers were actually damn good at ACL Fest last year.  I admit that I wasn't terribly excited to see them, but when they played their old hits, it was pretty sweet.  The new album is less appealing though.
  • Muse.  I've heard from multiple people that they put on a fantastic show, and I like some of their songs well enough, but why do they feel like the repeat headliner who just isn't that big?  However, of the top three on this poster, I'd try them before the other two.
Next Few Lines:
  • Sturgill Simpson is a bad ass.  I'd buy tickets to go see him immediately.
  • Future is garbage.
  • Khalid, Paramore, Sheryl Crow - I'd go see those folks.  Bassnectar has been pretty solid when I've seen him before, but #5 on the poster is pretty aggressive.  Anderson Paak, Revivalists, and Moon Taxi are cool.  I don't know a bunch of this stuff.
  • I guess I'd give Bon Iver a shot, his new album is hella weird though, and I can't imagine what that is like in a festival setting.
  • Haha!  T-Pain.  I don't think there is a rap artists on this poster I'd be excited to see.
I was curious if I am alone in finding this lineup wanting, and so I checked out the official post of this lineup on Twitter, thinking I would be able to find a trend.  The problem is that I don't actually understand what some of the gifs mean in this context.  Like, is a guy from Good Burger, looking at a piece of paper and saying "mhm" repeatedly, and then saying he knows some of these words a positive review of the lineup?  I dunno.  I'd say that the vast majority of the comments are negative, probably like 10:1 negative to positive on the comments.  Everyone apparently thought Fleetwood Mac would be the big headliner.  Huh.

And just for context, I pulled up the Shaky Knees official announcement, and it is almost all positive in the comment section on Twitter.  So this isn't just a matter of Twitter being a vile cesspool of negative arseholes.

But think of the lineup last year, with U2, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Chance the Rapper, and the Weeknd at the top of the poster.  That crushes this one.  But as usual the goodness on these lineup cards is going to come from the small-type bands and finding good new stuff.  ACL won't be announced for like 4 months and I'm already salivating.

1 comment:

Joseph Cathey said...

I just want to say that I do not understand Alt-J. At all. They are just weird.