Tuesday, April 10, 2018

Predicting ACL 2018 - Bands Playing Lollapalooza Chicago 2018

This is one of my favorite posts of the year.  Well, it usually is, but the lineup at Lolla leaves me a little less than enthused about the possibilities of matching up to ACL.  The Weeknd saps my soul, man.  But still, I love this post.  I love the guessing game and murder mystery sleuthing that comes with trying to figure things out. This is a fun game for me.


As usual, in my opinion, the Lolla lineup is always the closest indicator of who is coming to ACL in any given year.  Both Festivals are booked by C3, and there is always a relationship between the two lineups.  In some years, that relationship is conjoined-twin-level close between the headliner-type acts in the two shows.  But in some recent years, it isn't that close (especially last year).

The closest were 2012 and 2014, with 7/9 matching at the top of the bills:



2012:
Red Hot Chili Peppers
yes
Black Keys
yes
Black Sabbath
no
Jack White
yes
Florence & the Machine
yes
At the Drive In
no
Bassnectar
yes
Avicii
yes
The Shins
yes

2014:

Eminem
yes
Outkast
yes
Kings of Leon
no
Arctic Monkeys
no
Skrillex
yes
Calvin Harris
yes
Lorde
yes
The Avett Brothers
yes
Foster the People
yes


Third place was 2015, a 6 of 9 year, where we missed out on McCartney, Metallica, and Sam Smith.

Paul McCartney
no
Metallica
no
Florence & the Machine
yes
Sam Smith
no
Bassnectar
yes
The Weeknd
yes
Alt-J
yes
Alabama Shakes
yes
Of Monsters and Men
yes

Then 2011 and 2013 show that maybe the relationship isn't as strong as I thought, with only 4 out of 9 matches:



2011:
Eminem
no
Foo Fighters
no
Coldplay
yes
Muse
no
My Morning Jacket
yes
Deadmau5
no
A Perfect Circle
no
Cee Lo Green
yes
Damian Marley & Nas
yes

2013:
The Cure
yes
Mumford & Sons
no
the Killers
no
Nine Inch Nails
no
Phoenix
yes
the Postal Service
no
Vampire Weekend
yes
New Order
no
Queens of the Stone Age
yes

2016 was a little stronger than those two years, but it is kind of an apples to oranges comparison, because Lolla went to four nights last year in order to celebrate an anniversary. But you still get a 5 of 9 matchup (if you ask me), which is still a close link but not that strong:



Radiohead
yes
Mumford & Sons
no
Kendrick Lamar
no
LCD Soundsystem
yes
Major Lazer
yes
Kygo
no
Chris Stapleton
yes
The Chainsmokers
no
Flume
yes

And then last year, 2017, had the weakest link ever, with only 3 of the top 9 shared between the two festivals.
Chance the Rapper
yes
The Killers
yes
Muse
no
Arcade Fire
no
The XX
yes
Lorde
no
Blink 182
no
DJ Snake
no
Justice
no

Weird, right?  Does that spell the end of the close connection between the two festivals?  Honestly, I hope so!  Just kidding, and I don't actually think so, I just think there are ebbs and flows when it comes to booking acts that already have complicated schedules.  I'd love to get Arctic Monkeys and The National and then skip the rest of the headliners from the Lolla poster.  Or, it could be crazy close this year - I don't see any indication that C3 has decided to fully divest the two from each other...

Also curious about how I did on these predictions last year.  I was right on 6 and wrong on 3 (damn Lorde and Arcade Fire, juking me out), so that is pretty solid predictorations.


So, how likely are we to see the top nine on the Lolla poster for this year?  Let's dig in.  

  1. The Weeknd.  He just put out a terrible new album of six boring alt-R&B tunes.  He played ACL in 2015 (same year as he last played Lolla).  He is headlining at Coachella and Panorama as well.  For reasons that escape my brain, he is still massively popular.  So everything possible points towards this pick making all the sense in the world.  He doesn't have a real tour happening right now (his website just obnoxiously shows black and white versions of the Coach and Pano posters when you try to look at the tour), so he has no conflicts with October.  <long, soul-crushed sigh> yeah, I guess we should expect to see him here in October.
  2. Bruno Mars.  Now this one is a little more interesting to me.  I'm not a huge fan of the most recent album (that just won all the Grammys), but I'm also generally not that into 90's new jack swing and cheesy R&B balladry, so I ain't the target audience here.  That being said, the dude can sing and dance like a bad mofo, so I'd actually be interested to go check it out just for curiosity's sake and to jam his hits and dance my heart out.  Buuuut, his calendar is very full in October, with shows on Friday and Sunday nights of both weekends.  Theoretically, that means he could play NYC on Friday night, run down to Austin and jam on Saturday night, and then haul up to Nashville for a Sunday night show.  And then the next weekend would be even easier, with Tulsa and Dallas bookending an Austin show.  But is that realistic at all?  Seems like an insane schedule to try to pull off, especially for an artist who does a lot of dancing and moving in his show.  Interestingly, this Rolling Stone announcement of the 24K Magic Tour shows that he is playing in Austin at the Circuit of the Americas on October 20, which happens to be when the F1 race is happening (and they usually book mega stars to play that weekend).  But they   With that evidence in hand, I'm going to go with no.
  3. Jack White.  I've already talked about him showing up here quite a bit, and think that they will make it happen.  Here's to him jamming on White Stripes tunes for me.  Yes.
  4. Arctic Monkeys.  Also already made the call on these dudes, with nothing changing my opinion since.  Yes.  Also just saw that new album is coming out May 11.  Lock it down!
  5. Travis Scott.  This lineup is kind of hilarious, just switching back and forth between artists I can't stand and those that I really like.  I very much dislike Travis Scott.  His website, very annoyingly, lists only one single date in the middle of a page for his tour.  As though the only thing he is doing is Governor's Ball in June.  But he is playing loads of other things, such as Lolla Chicago and Lolla Paris and Rolling Loud in Miami in May.  This "leaked" schedule on reddit shows him playing Zilker Park in October, although it might be entirely fake because it has his Rolling Loud date wrong.  This listing has some other dates on it that don't make that potentially fake one, but it also has him in Paris during the weekend of Lolla, when he is obviously going to be in Chicago.  Man, the Internet will mess you up on this stuff.  What is real?  I guess my instinct on this one is to believe he will be here.  Yes.  (although I'd rather have better rap as the rap headliner, please)
  6. The National.  Yes.  I've already run through this one.  New album, playing lots of other festivals.  
  7. Vampire Weekend.  Interesting.  Their super helpful website simply has the name of the band on the page where their tour should be listed.  SongKick has them listed for two upcoming festival slots (Fuji Rock in July and End of the Road in September) but doesn't list Lolla.  This dumb website made me think I was going to get a touring listing, but instead just notes those same two festivals.  So I guess no tour.  Hell, I thought they had broken up entirely.  Seems like, without Rostam, their sound is going to be entirely different.  That last article also says that they have a new album almost done, so I guess this makes sense for us to get Vampire Weekend back at Zilker.  But very hard to tell without more data.  I guess I lean towards yes for now.
  8. Odesza.  Yeah, just talked about these guys as well the other day, and I think it is a yes.  They are playing loads of other festivals, have no conflicts on their tour calendar, and will appeal to all the hip kids snorting tide pods and ready to party.
  9. Logic.  I mentally thought I had already researched this, but apparently not.  I think he could make sense as another young, hot rap artists for the fest, but his tour comes through Austin on July 27, and isn't sold out, so I really doubt that he would immediately be back to Austin for a festival slot.  No.
So, if my predictions are right, we'll have 7 of 9 of the headliners here in Austin.  That is a crazy close connection this year.  Could it be right?  Last year, I correctly guessed whether or not the Lolla headliners would be here on 6 out of 9 (incorrectly thought we'd see Lorde, Arcade Fire, and DJ Snake), so I've done OK in the past.
Now for other folks on the 2018 Lolla lineup that I think will be there (most of these I've already talked about so no need to further discuss):
  • Khalid.
  • Tyler, the Creator.
  • Chvrches.  Loads of festivals this summer, no real tour, but a new album coming out soon and haven't been to ACL in a few years.
  • St. Vincent.
  • Dua Lipa.
  • Brockhampton.
  • Greta Van Fleet.
I've still got some more predicting to do, but this one is definitely one of the biggest ones.  I need to go back and re-do my other prediction posts now that we have more touring information, and I think I might also go waste some time with historical touring data...  Fun times!  We'll have the announcement in about a month!

No comments: