Wednesday, April 25, 2018

Queens of the Stone Age: April 24, 2018: 360 Ampitheater

YES.
(note: from 16 years ago, with Dave Grohl, and there was no moshing noticed at last night's show)

Give me all the rock and roll.  Just pour a little saline in there and mix it around with your finger and suck it up in a syringe and flick it thrice before you inject it straight into my eardrum.  This show checked all the boxes I needed to fully enjoy myself.  I took a QOTSA newby with me to the show, and was very pleased by how much he enjoyed the show.  Josh Homme is a swaggering bad ass, comfortable at a full throated bellow or turned up into a sexy falsetto.  I had a moment during the show when I was thinking how it is a bummer that the music world is so fractured these days, because everyone deserves to have their face melted by real deal rock and roll.  But I doubt the show was anywhere near capacity.  We posted up in the GA Pit area, about 30 yards from the stage, direct in the center, and had plenty of room around us to move and groove.

The setlist was perfect - maybe two songs I didn't know (meaning they are likely from Lullabies to Paralyze or were covers) - but a good mix of the old and new.  I thought I might fly away when they dropped into the groove after the breaks in "Evil Has Landed" and "Song for the Dead."  I took a crappy video of that last one and rewatching it right now just gave me goose bumps all over again.  I want to kick the world into the sun when that tune kicks in.  See the video up above.

On the other hand, I was bummed at Wolf Alice, the opening band, who didn't play my favorite tune "Bros."  They sounded excellent on "Moaning Lisa Smile" and "Giant Peach," so I'll forgive them, but I sure would have liked to have seen my favorite tune in person.

Very little banter in between songs - a little bit of inspirational speechifying, a mention of playing Emo's 20 years ago, and noting that his tequila buzz had finally kicked in.  But even without a lot of talk, Homme's stage persona is so smooth.  I'd go see that show all over again right now.

1 comment:

Joseph Cathey said...

Man I'm so bummed I missed this!!!!